21 - Reality

There was a small charge to changing Nathan's flight so they'd go back to IAH together, but Trent agreed to cover it. A bit too enthusiastically. He couldn't be that happy about being newly engaged. Victoria wondered what else he and Nathan talked about on that boat.

Because when Nathan took her out on a boat himself, there was barely any talking. Well, there was "hold this," "be careful," "don't forget your goggles," and other instructions, but in between there was kissing. So much kissing. In the boat, in the water, on the sand. What those fish had seen...

No talking. More kissing.

On the plane ride, where there were federal aviation guidelines against whatever they wanted to do, there was more talking. And it wasn't bad. They talked about home, school, Chris.

"You think he'll actually make it?" Victoria asked. "Over there? Oliver Cabrera is major. International. It's a lot to ask of Chris, to help fix that mess."

Nathan shrugged. "He puts out fires all the time. He'll be good at this too."

"How are you friends?" Victoria wondered, not actually meaning to say that to his face. She'd thought about it a lot, when she was obsessing over the unhealthy crush she had on him. She almost resented how he was also close to a friend whose opinions she valued.

"That's not what you want to know," Nathan said, dark eyes piercing right through her. "And the answer is, because I'm not half bad. I come through in a crisis."

What they went through this weekend was in no way a crisis, but he did come through for her. That was Nathan on the island. And Victoria on the island.

The pilot announced that they were about to make their descent to Bush International. Welcome to Houston. Victoria caught Nathan's eye and cleared her throat.

"We're home," she said.

"Yes."

"I had a nice time. A very nice time."

"I did too."

"I'm sorry for being difficult."

"You don't owe me any apologies."

But she felt she did. She owed him something. There was something wrong and unsatisfying about home all of a sudden, and she felt it in the pit of her stomach. But he didn't say anything else. Because they weren't going to talk about it anymore, right? Not in Houston, not back home, not where anyone who knew them would find out. And expose her to the kind of judgment reserved for Nathan's hook-ups.

No talking as they waited for her baggage. He didn't check in any, and waited beside her with a backpack hanging over one shoulder.

She spotted Josh waiting for her. He was on his phone though, and didn't see her right away. Did Josh know Nathan? Did she have to introduce them?

"I'm guessing that's your ride," Nathan said.

"I'll text you. Email you. And stuff." It came out quick, and dismissive.

He raised a hand in a salute, walking past her, past Josh, and out the airport.