Chapter 20: Alive & Kicking

February 25th, 1883
{Christine's P.O.V}

"Christine, darling, are you ready to leave?" Erik calls from the bottom of the stairs.

I stand in front of the full length mirror in our bedroom with my hand on my stomach. "Yes, Erik, I will be there in a moment." I reply. Doctor Bernard said that I should be able to start feeling the baby kick soon. I'm almost at four months of pregnancy and getting a little impatient waiting for my little baby to kick.

"Come, baby. Please kick for Mommy." I beg softly, rubbing my swollen belly.

"Just be patient." Erik says softly, placing his arms around my waist.

I gasp as he does so but lean into his embrace. "I'm sorry, my love. But shouldn't he or she be kicking by now?" I ask. I place his hand over my stomach. "Do you feel anything?" I ask hopefully.

He laughs lightly, planting a kiss on my forehead. "Believe me, you'd feel it before I did." he tells me.

I frown in defeat. It's strange to think that a child is growing inside me when I myself, am nothing more than a child.

"Now let's go to church. I want to show off my pretty wife to everyone." he tells me, leading me out the bedroom door.

"My goodness, Erik. All you ever talk about to the other men is me and our baby." I say, laughing. "Maybe tonight you should take up on their offer. Go out with them to the pub." I suggest as we walk down the steps, get our scarves and such on and walk out the door.

"Absolutely not." he tells me as we walk over to the carriage. "You know, that going to pubs isn't all they do..." he says disgustedly.

"Why don't you go. I truly don't mind if you'd like to have a little fun while I'm pregnant." I say. "You know I can't be the same while I'm with the baby..." I've been trying to tell him for a few days for him to get a mistress or go out to the whorehouses, but I've been reluctant to let him go so easily. I feel special knowing that I'm the only woman to ever have him, but I'm willing to give up that position if he wants some really nice pleasure during my pregnancy. I feel awful that I can't give him the same pleasure I could before, but that shouldn't stop him from giving up that rough sort of thing he likes that I used to be able to do.

"Christine," he says sternly, stopping me from walking, holding my shoulders to face him. "I'm not that kind of man, you should know that." he says, brushing a curl from my face. "I'm a faithful husband, and besides, you're the only woman I could ever want." he says sweetly.

I let out a large sigh of relief. "Thank you." I say. I can't help but let a big smile onto my face. "That's good then." I say shyly. "Because I'd very much like to keep you all to myself."

"And keep me you shall, my beloved Christine." he murmurs, kissing my forehead before helping me into the coach. I can't help but smile at the thought of my perfect little family.

---------------------------------------------

"Thank you for the lovely dinner, darling." I thank Erik as he cleans up the table.

"It's no problem, dearest. Why don't you go relax in the parlor while I finish cleaning up?"

I think about protesting and asking to help him, but I decide against it and make my way to the sofa. Erik doesn't let me do much around the house. Though sometimes it gets quite annoying, it's awfully relaxing not having to do a thing.

As I sit on the sofa, I place my hand over my stomach. I let it sit there for a few minutes before letting out a frustrated goan. What am I doing wrong? My baby should be kicking by now!

I know how impatient and childlike I am but not much else can be expected from a seventeen-year-old.

"Darling..." Erik starts in a warning tone, placing his hand on my shoulder.

I sigh. "I'm sorry, Erik." I reply. He doesn't like it when I get upset.

"It's okay, my love. I just want you to understand that ever baby and mother is different. Our baby might not kick for another few days or weeks but that doesn't mean either of you are doing anything wrong." he assures me, taking my hand in his.

"Okay." I mumble, still quite upset.

"How about we go to the music room and sing a little bit to get your mind off things? And when we're done, I'll give you a nice back rub before bed." he tells me, trying to persuade me to stop being so infatuated with my un-kicking child.

"That sounds nice." I reply, a small smile appearing on my lips.

He leads me up the music room and I sit on one side of the piano bench.

"Let's sing some 'Aida'." he says, knowing that "Aida" is my absolute favorite opera.

I smile as he gets the music out and sits beside me.

"Warm ups." he says and begins playing scales on the piano as I repeat them with my voice.

After about ten minutes of warming up he tells me that I'm ready to sing. He plays the introduction on the piano and then nods his head when it's time for me to come in. I begin to sing the beautiful music, letting the notes fly freely through my lips, imagining that each word is butterfly, soaring through the little music room.

Erik then joins in, singing the same song except an octave lower. I smile at how beautifully we sound together. Suddenly I stop at the climax of the piece, wanting to just hear his voice. He sings the notes passionately as if his life depended on making it the best performance of his life.

As he sings I suddenly feel something move in my stomach. I gasp and grab his hand from the piano, placing it on my belly.

He stops playing and looks wide-eyed at my abdomen, the little movements continuing. "Oh my God... Is that...?"

"It is..." I say, tears beginning to spill out of my eyes. I look up at him and he embraces me, holding me close against his chest.

"Oh my God, Christine. Our baby just moved." he says breathlessly into my ear.

"I know, Erik. I can't believe it." I say back, the tears continuing to spill out of my eyes. "And it moved to the sound to the sound of your singing, my darling." I add.

"It did?" he asks, pulling away to look into my eyes.

I nod in response and giggle as he leans down and kisses my belly.

"Hello, darling, it's Papa. Thank you for kicking. Mommy's been so excited for you to start dancing for us." he coos.

I smile at what an amazing father he already is. I run my hand through his dark hair and reach down to kiss his cheek.

"We're going to be parents, Erik."

Author's Note: Hello, everyone! I'm so sorry for not updating for almost a month! I felt really uninspired but now I'm back! Also, thank you all for your patience and support. And if it's not too much trouble, it would mean the world to mean if all of y'all checked out my "Phantom" roleplay blog xdaaex.tumblr.com ! Love you all!