Chapter One

coralie

Dear Coralie,

Dear Coralie,

Enclosed is a letter that Everett requested we send to you. If you plan on staying with him I suggest you tell him that you are a witch. He is becoming suspicious.
We hope that school is going well. Remember you only have three months left, so continue to work hard.
Your father sends his love.

Sincerely,
Your mother

Coralie Knight unfolded the sheet of paper completely, allowing another one inside to fall to the floor. She unfolded this one as well to read Everett Dior's curly handwriting.

Coralie,

Words can't describe how much I miss you. The past three months have been painfully long without you here and I know the next three will be just as long.
I hope you're enjoying your time at school. I can't wait for you to come back home.
Please write back soon. I will be stopping by your home next Monday to check for the post.

Everett

***

In a perfect world, Coralie Knight wouldn't have to hide who she was. But this was a world where there were witches and wizards, goblins, and giants, fairies and elves. And it was a world where it all had to be kept a secret.

If she didn't have to hide, Coralie would have told Everett Diors the moment she met him that she was a witch. But this wasn't a perfect world, so Coralie had to come up with the most intricate lie she could have.

"An all girls school in Scotland?" Everett looked confused, like most of the people Coralie had to tell this lie to. "Why would your parents send you all the way there?"

"They wanted me to have the best education I could," Coralie told him. "I get to come for a few weeks during the holiday and again for the summer. But this is my last year, I promise you'll get to see me soon."

"Not soon enough," Everett said.

When the two first met, back in December during the Christmas break, Coralie was waiting in line at the London Cinema. Everett had approached her and was brash and a little creepy. He flirted, wanted to get learn all about her, and tried to buy her a coffee. He was a charming man though, Coralie admitted. He was only a few years older and worked as a nurse at a hospital outside of London in order to pay for medical school.

After bombarding Everett with questions about who he was, where he was from, and asking for a form of identification, Coralie agreed to a date. For the two weeks she was at home from school they were inseparable.

Coralie knew that once she saw her friends once she boarded the train to school she would be bombarded with questions about who her most recent "holiday conquest" was. But Everett seemed to be much more than a conquest, though nothing was official.