The Awaited Panic

Start from the beginning

I look down at her and raise my eyebrows at her, but she doesn't return the gesture. Instead, panic floods her expression. Her shaky hands reach out to grab her camera and she hastily pushes through the wooden doors behind her.

The pre show music cuts and the beat to "Don't run, baby" begins to play on the speakers. I push myself past the curtain and run across stage. The crowd goes wild at my appearance and my name falls in desperate yells from the floor.

"Grey, what the fuck are you doing?" Skylar asks, stabilizing me with his hands on my shoulders.

Ignoring Skylar's comment, I push past him and spot the tech who controls the curtains. "Close the curtains and turn off the music. I have something more important to handle." I command, turning to walk off.

"But sir—" The man looks at me with confusion in his eyes.

"Shut the fuck up and do it!" I nearly yell at him, my patience running thin. I hear the whoosh of the curtains as they close and the music cuts. Confused fans and groans fall from the crowd but that's the least of my concern. I run down the backstage steps and push past the security guarding the door. Out of the corner of my eye I spot Sal standing with his hands across his chest. He never has been one to call me out for my actions in the moment, his words are always premeditated.

A breeze of cool air brushes against my body when I push out of the doors. I frantically look around for the brunette and spot her almost immediately. Her flannel is off, leaving her in her jeans and a thin bralette and her head is buried in her hands against a storage box.

Hearing my loud steps, Lia picks her head up, meeting my gaze. Worry floods her face. "Jameson, I- I'm sorry I don't think I can do this."

"Shh." My arms wrap around her waist and I pull her in, suddenly feeling sympathetic towards the girl who I barely met two days ago.

She turns her head to lie against my chest. "I don't know why I'm so upset, I've been to concerts before and this has never happened." She admits.

I pull away from her and look into her eyes. I know she needs this job as much we need her. And I'd be damned if I let anxiety get in the way of that.

"Ive got to get back on stage or they will come looking for me but listen to me... You are a great fucking videographer, maybe better than the last asshole we had." I admit, pausing to gather my thoughts. "You can leave right now and go back home or you can get out there and prove to everyone that you're here for good."

Her breath slowly calms down and she grabs her camera, wrapping it around her neck. "Thank you for that," She looks up at me. "and sorry for stopping the show."

"Don't thank me, just don't pussy out because of stage fright"

LIA

Before I can say any more words, I run off in the opposite direction of Jameson. Maybe it's because I'm still stunned about the hug or possibly the fact that I stopped a famous rock band's show? Either way my legs pace towards the large wooden doors I was just running out of and I slowly push them open, trying to make my presence unknown.

The pre show lights are still off, indicating that the band is about to start soon but regardless of that indicator, the fans are beyond confused. A mix of emotions falls from the crowd until the lights turn off completely, leaving me in pitch black darkness. I hurriedly turn my camera back on and walk from my spot beside the stage to the back of the venue. Luckily Jameson's dramatic exit pushed everyone to the front of the crowd. Now I have free view of the entire stage.

The lights turn back on and repeat the same sequence I saw in New York. Archer walks out first and the crowd goes wild per usual. My camera zooms in on the, somehow already sweaty, blonde in a tank top and jeans hitting the drums. Next, out comes Skylar and Izalea. I pan over Izalea's hands plucking the guitar and her interactions with the rest of the band. Finally, the cue for Jameson's introduction comes on and the fans already know what they are in for. Loud screams erupt from every side of me as I walk closer towards the side of the stage to get a better view of the brunette.

The lights turn on and, my god, I understand why he is the heartthrob of the group. A thin, white, unbuttoned button down sits effortlessly over his torso. A cross chain sparkles from the stage and a simple pair of jeans and vans accessorize the outfit. Even though it's so simple, just like his all black look in New York, his confidence, intoxicating brown eyes, and messy hair mends it together.

"Florida! Are you ready for the show of a fucking lifetime?" Jameson yells through the mic, a wave of agreement falls to the front of the stage.

Izalea, dressed in a white oversized tee and tights, smiles at me from the crowd and gives me a passionate strum for the camera. Skylar winks at the camera and almost as if it was planned, "don't run, baby" comes on.

Over the course of the next few songs, I capture the passionate and focused members and their fans. It's almost as if they are bonding through the music. I have always believed that even though the band has no fucking idea who you are, you still connect on a level like no other. Music is a bond and there is no denying that. Looking at Jameson, pouring his heart into the songs and dancing around stage, I know that he doesn't do this just for the money or the fame. They all do this for the connection they make to their own music.

"Thank you, Florida." Jameson announces, concluding the last song "closed doors" which seems to be the crowd's favorite. He runs off stage and Izalea, Skylar, and Archer all day their goodbyes to the crowd, following the tall brunette off stage. With their exit, I turn off my camera and walk toward the left side of the floor to meet the band backstage.

When I push past the dress room doors, I immediately spot something that I've been dreading since it was proposed to me. Sal stands opposite of Jameson who is sitting on the velvet couch with Izalea, Skylar, and Archer. It seems as if he's yelling at all of them. As I go to leave the scene, Sal spots me in the doorway. Is it a bad time to say that I haven't taken my anxiety meds today?

"Rosalia, come in dear. I was just asking about you." The older and quite round man shifts his body towards me. The band notices me when Sal speaks up and my heart skips a beat out of nervousness.

I take a step inside and walk up to the manager. He holds his hand out and I quickly take it, giving him an appreciative shake.

"My apologies about the short notice but I have a feeling you'll do great things for the band." The wrinkles in his forehead show themselves with his attempt to be sincere.

"I'm glad I can help, this is also a great opportunity. There's no way I could pass it up." I admit, letting off a soft grin. Out of the corner of my eye I notice the band, all tense.

"Well before we hire you on completely, could I get you to go over and sign a few contracts for me? They all concern the privacy and safety of the band along with your pay." From the glass table beside him, Sal picks up a folder full of contracts. My expression changes from a appreciative grin to a defeated grimace. I wonder how long this is going to take.

"Um, yeah, of course." I agree hesitantly.

Before I could walk to the table to begin signing the mountain of papers, Izalea cuts in. "Why don't we handle all of the paperwork on the bus? Let the girl breathe." She looks up at him with a fake sense of optimism.

"Oh alright, but make sure to be back in time-"

"You're already setting yourself up for failure." Archer interrupts, cocking an eyebrow out of amusement while he scrolls through his phone.

"You know we are never on time." Skylar joins in.

Sal let's out a huff of frustration and looks between the group. With silent confirmation he walks towards the door I just entered. "Well tomorrow we have fittings, just make sure to be there for that." The bald man yells from the doorway.

"Got it, boss." Archer yells back, looking up from his phone.

With the closing of the door, Archer stands up and gives me a devious grin. "So Lia, have you ever tried a Miami Vice?"

This is going to be a long night.