At the very least he was sure that hadn't been her intention. He'd fallen all on his own and with nothing but rejection from her at every turn. Was he a masochist...?

It didn't make sense for her to be a threat though. She never sought out any power and there was certainly power that she could have claimed as queen.

All she ever asked for was Penelope.

Alver's heart stung at the thought.

Her one earnest request and possibly the only honesty she'd ever granted him with. Her claim to her daughter and her desire to remain at her side. He held his head in his hand as the wretched misery returned.

...how could he have said that to her? Was there no way to take the words back...

–Alver sat up straight in his chair and nearly choked on the realization.

In the chaos that had been the last few weeks and the disaster of the rising and falling emotions, he'd never once taken it back. He hadn't informed her that he no longer had any intention to remove Penelope from her care.

How could he have slipped up so thoroughly...?! Even with the constant reminder of her saccharine act around him...?

He needed to tell her. As soon as possible. To let her know that there was absolutely no need for her to act like that around him and that her safety and custody were guaranteed. His departure was stuttered by the opening of his door. He was about ready to reprimand whoever had dared to enter without knocking but the criticism died in his throat at the sight of Penelope.

She glared at him coldly and curtsied. "Your majesty."

"Penelope." Alver nearly stuttered the name. He was already flustered by his realization and now the unexpected visit. "What brings you here?" He winced internally. What sort of question was that? It sounded as though he wasn't happy to see her. He really was off balance.

She showed no response to his fumble and instead half turned to gesture to the guard behind her. "I came to introduce you to my personal knight. Choi Han."

Alver looked at the woman and nodded in approval. She had the Henituse family knights uniform and he'd already been informed that Penelope had requested and been granted a knight from the Henituse family. He would still of course be attaching his own guard but Alver had no complaints about more security.

Turning his attention back to Penelope he offered her a soft smile. "I heard that you requested one. I think it was a wise decision."

Penelope frowned deeply as though he'd said something wrong and turned to Choi Han before barking an order. "Choi Han. Introduce yourself to his majesty."

She nodded and obediently bowed towards Alver. "It's an honor to meet you, your majesty. I will do my best to ensure the princess's safety."

"Thank you." Alver said, thoughts drifting towards Cale again as he tried to figure out just what Penelope wanted him to say because she was frowning more by the second. Deciding he ought to just combine matters, he changed tactics. "This is great timing actually. I was just about to go and greet your mother. Would you come with me, Penelope?"

Those words didn't appear to go over well with Penelope either, despite her usual enthusiasm to spend time with her mother. "I'll go to mother." She said. "You stay with Choi Han."

Now Alver was truly puzzled. Choi Han also looked towards the girl in confusion. "Penelope, she's your knight. And I really do need to speak to your mother. I have nothing to say to the knight." He felt a bit bad for speaking so dismissively about the swordswoman but he really had no interest in speaking with her and an urgent need to speak with Cale. He also couldn't comprehend his daughter's intentions. Was she attempting to use her knight to protect Alver? Although the thought was endearing, it was deeply unlikely. After all, her disdain for Alver's very existence was clear on her face even now.