Two

TWO —— A WOMAN IS A CHANGELING

105 AC, KING'S LANDING

"—Did you hear?" Alicent's hushed voice cuts through the silence as she reaches Morrigan, who is on her way to greet the delegation from Storm's End, which had arrived just an hour ago.

Morrigan blinks at her. "Huh?" She asks, still a little tired as she shields her eyes from the early sun shining on them and watches her friend settle into step next to her. 

"About last night?"

The Baratheon girl shakes her head. "What about last night?"

Alicent looks around as she leans towards her, a conspiratorial look on her face. "Prince Daemon and his City Watch went out and rounded up all sorts of criminals in the city. They pulled people out of their beds even. And then they punished them for the crimes." She shudders. "I heard my father say they needed two wagons to carry away all the body parts they cut off at the end of it."

Morrigan's eyebrows shoot up. "You're joking."

Alicent shakes her head. "I'm really not. Father's furious. Apparently the whole Council is in uproar. Most of them didn't even know he was in the city at all. They want to demand Daemon answer for his actions but nobody's really sure what to do with him because they can't agree on whether or not they condone what he did."

Gods, Morrigan thinks, imagining the scene of the dark, dirty streets of the city below the Red Keep, crawling with criminals and then— the gold cloaks swarming in the streets, rounding up everyone they can find and Prince Daemon in the midst of everything like standing in the eye of a storm.