Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I used to be a girl lavished with riches and golds ever since I was young. But there was a price to pay, and that is not just to be good—but to be the best daughter.

I was forced to study a pile of books, to spend my whole day in the library and read every written word on every pages. I cannot play outside, nor can I even hold a toy.

I made my parents glad about my grades. I've always reached the top and surpassed everyone else. But beyond the satisfaction I felt, is the fear that if I one day fail, my parents would no longer love me. And they did. One day I was neglected and forced by my father to leave the house.

My life is not as luxurious as it was before, but I'm now happy by myself. There's something I found ever since I left my family's house, and that is peace...but also poverty.

I work in a coffee shop provided by my mother. I promised to be independent and never to lean on my parents again, particularly my father. But at my age, maybe I just can't do it yet. After all, I used to grow up with a wealthy family. I have no idea how average people live.

My mother loves me, I know. That's exactly why she gave me this place so I can still find myself a source of living. I was unable to use all my cards because of my good father.

"May I have your order, sir?" I asked when someone neared to the counter. My eyes are still on my Math Book, trying to understand one certain formula.

"A cup of my sister, please. Caramel flavor. Medium."

I averted my stare away from the book and faced the customer. Ismael greeted me a smile.

"How about toppings, sir?" I asked sarcastically.

"Oh, you put toppings on a coffee? Hm, chocolates, maybe. But from what I see right now, it's chili pepper." The curve remained on my brother's lips.

I made a deep sigh, trying not to loose my patience. "Ismael, I have lots of costumers coming up. And I told you, I'm not going to that fancy dinner."

"But there's shanghai in there. It's your favorite, right?" He made a small pout.

"Stop doing that. You look like a dog." I rolled my eyes and put my attention back to my Math Book.

"Zuo Hang said pouting makes you cute. And he said you are cute."

It took me a while to process what Ismael is saying. I returned my stare back to him again. "What?"

"Zuo Hang said you're cute."

I raised my eyebrows. The hell would he say that.

"So does Zuo Hang saying 'I am cute' have any connections about you inviting me to the dinner?"

Ismael shrugged. "No, but I bet father would mention him again once you joined us."

"Yeah, to compare me to him and say that his achievements are far better than mine."

Zuo Hang always has been my rival ever since the day I entered this school. It all started when both of us had a debate about Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. And then after that, both of us were already fighting for the Rank 1. And here we are, now fighting for the position as a School President.

I wonder how far this 'battle' between us could go.

I sent Ismael home with his shoulders drooping. Just as I did before, I declined his invite. There's no way I'm going to go back to that traumatic house again. I'd rather kiss a dirty comfort room's floor instead of seeing my father's face and listen to his rants about me.