Prologue

Way inhaled the sharp cold air as he closed the distance between him and the ledge of the building until it was one step away, he let one foot hover over the edge while he imagined how painful it would be before he finally succumbed or if this distance would kill him instantly.
He panted wildly and clutched the painful skin that fell over his new heart while the rest of his uncovered skin turned redder and redder in the chilly nighttime air. He had neglected to grab a coat before rushing to end his life. The cold was the last thing on his mind after what he’d just experienced. Finally, he got his hand to move and he pushed his leg backward so he was balanced still a step from the ledge. Shivering and an arm’s length from falling he tried to figure out what he had done to deserve such a fate.
He didn’t want to die but maybe he could take some time to think about what he did wrong before he went and jumped off of this damn cliff so he wouldn't do it in his next life because he knew there was no turning back now.
He closed his eyes and took another shaky breath before pushing himself off the ground and taking two steps forward onto the edge of the building. One more step and it’ll be all over and he’d never have to go through this again. This wasn’t so bad, he thought to himself. A quick glance down only made him feel sick to the stomach and he looked quickly away once the vertigo hit, it was going to be ok, he was just being dramatic. He took another deep breath and lifted his right foot to the very first step. It felt like an eternity before he made it to the next and another long moment passed where he stood frozen at the edge and he couldn’t quite shake away the feeling of dread he’d been experiencing for hours. He took another step and another one after that, his left foot was already halfway up but every single step made him dizzier, not to mention the fear that filled his bones was worse than anything he’d ever felt.
He stopped walking when suddenly he was sure he wouldn’t make it. He leaned heavily against the ledge in an attempt to remain upright. If he could just take a step up and push himself a little further but instead he slid down along the edge of the building until his butt smacked loudly against the hard concrete floor. His arms hung limp by his sides as if they belonged to someone else. His vision spun with each blink making everything around him blurry. He wanted to cry and scream and shout for help but the words refused to form. The world was spinning too fast, it hurt his head and he was getting light headed and then his whole body collapsed as unconsciousness washed over him.