Chapter Six - The Job Offer

Marinette's POV:

I'd just been woken up from my nightmares by a concerned Tikki and Plagg, they were worried about me because Uncle Jagged had sent me a message telling me that my essay had won the Martha and Thomas Wayne Competition, so my ex-class was coming here, to Gotham City. Of course, they didn't know where I was, but still, there was a worry that they would find out I was here and come hunting for me, hopefully, none of them will see me, and I can avoid them for the duration of their stay, saying that, the trip's in three or so weeks, so they might've forgotten about me by then. 

With that hopeful thought, Marinette got up for the day, showering and dressing in a nice t-shirt and some stone-washed(light blue) jeans. Once she got downstairs she opened the doors and let the few people outside in, so that they could wait in the warm while she got the cafe up and running. As she was putting the croissants that she'd made last night into the preheated oven, Marinette heard a commotion in the dining room, she walked out into a heated argument between Tim, from yesterday, and Uncle J. (Because I can, Uncle J is The Joker)

"What's going on Uncle J?" I ask, noticing how people quietened down as soon as they saw me. "Sweet pea, he's a cop, I just don't want you to get caught up in our shit," Uncle J replies, looking over at Tim I see him staring in shock, both at me and Uncle J. "What do you want? Are you here to take him back to Arkham?" I ask, hoping he isn't because his birthday is coming up and I wouldn't want him to be in Arkham for his birthday. "Uhh, I'm not here for him at all, I'm here for you, my family and I would like to know what hours you can take care of Demon Spawn, I mean, Damien," "You've nicknamed them already?" I ask though I can understand why they would want to call a baby Demon Spawn, "Ohh, umm, he's actually 18 but then he swallowed something weird on a dare me and my brothers made, so now he's a baby?" shaking my head, I sigh, "I've seen weirder shit, Mr. Pidgeon still holds the title for the weirdest," I comment, not seeing their looks of disbelief. 

"What do you mean you've seen weirder sweet pea?" Uncle J asks, looking so completely confused, and then I realize why, "Ohh, that's right Mayor Bourgeois stopped international TV coverage from entering Paris. To explain quickly, Paris, used to have a terrorist, his name was Hawkmoth, he and his sidekick Mayura terrorized Paris for four years, but yeah, the superheroes and supervillains got their powers from little jewels called Miraculous. Hawkmoth's power was that if anyone was feeling any powerful negative emotion, he could akumatize someone, meaning he could manipulate someone by promising them whatever they want most in the world, most often it's in a form of revenge and the people feel bad after it happens, thus giving them superpowers, Mr. Pidgeon was the weirdest because whenever he was akumatized, his goal was always for his pigeons to rule the world... So yeah, he's weirder than this. Thankfully, our superheroes Ladybug and Chat Noir stopped him, they revealed his identity to be none other than Gabriel Agreste late last year," as I finish the people in the cafe just stare in shock at what the petite french girl had revealed. 

"So you're telling us, there has been a magical supervillain, going around Paris manipulating people to do evil things every other day over the course of the last four or so years and no one outside of Paris knew of it?" Tim asks, looking as shocked as the rest of them. "Pretty much," I reply, I walk back around the counter and finish starting up the coffee machine, "Stop looking at me like that," I say, slightly annoyed at all the people looking at me like I'm amazing, "While I am the only one in the 'akuma class' that didn't get akumatized, that doesn't mean I was happy with my life, I was just better at compartmentalizing."

To calm down I take a deep breath through my mouth and let it out through my nose, I turn back to Tim, "So, when do you need me to babysit Damien?" acting like everything's normal, because it is to me, this is how I live my life, I relive my memories every single day, and yet I still keep fighting against the negative emotions. "Well, um, could you come over later today? I'll pick you up once I finish work and we can head to my house so you can meet everyone, including Damien," "Sure, I'll shut the cafe at 4 o'clock," I say, before getting on with my day, but not before the Uncle J gives me a hug and tells me to come home safely tonight. 

~ Sorry this is such a short chapter, I just have to get everything set up... 

The author, Elle                                                                                                                                                                     ~