five

The skin on my wrists is rubbed raw from the rope.

It stings like a bitch.

I think I could kill him right now. Scratch that. I could definitely kill him right now. The fucker left me here to die. Left me as bait for those bloodsucker demons whatever they are. And I don't want to die here. The thought jerks me back into action, struggling to free my hands with renewed vigor.

My back is up against a wooden post, hands bound behind it and attached to the damn thing. I don't know how long I have left before they get here, with my luck, not long, considering it's what got me here in the first place.

It also happens to be pitch black. Even the moonlight is lost behind dark clouds. Or is it a moonless night? Ha. That would be fitting. To die on a moonless night.

I sit there for what feels like an hour. Eventually I just stop struggling with the rope because I can't see or hear anyone. I think I'm in denial. As if being unable to see or hear them means they aren't coming. And if they aren't coming, then it's not so impertinent that I free myself right away.

An hour turns into two, into three. The sky seems to be getting lighter. No one has come for me. Now I'm confused. Was this all a trick?

When it appears as though the sun is just about to break the horizon, I hear the crunching of footsteps behind me. I can't crane my neck far enough to see whoever or whatever is stalking towards me over this stupid thick ass wooden post. I begin fighting against my binds again. It hurts like hell but there's no way I'm getting murdered this way.

Apparently there isn't because the next thing I know the ropes have been slashed and I'm face planting into the dirt.

I quickly roll over looking up into the face of a man I do not know. He doesn't look like a blood sucking demon or anything. In fact, he appears quite ordinary looking, although I don't know what a blood sucking demon would look like.

"Get up."

It's a command. And I follow it, rolling to my feet, my wrists stinging as I flex them pushing off from the ground.

It's when I stand up that I notice this man is massive. He could probably rip me apart with his thumbs alone.

"Let's go."

He starts walking off back the way he came and I hesitate. Yes, he could kill me but I'm also very fucking fast and I doubt with his size that he could keep up. But should I run when he just cut me free?

Apparently I hesitated for a second too long because the man stops and glances back at me. "I don't know who sacrificed you, or why, but if you don't come with me now you will be killed."

His gaze shifts to the sun just starting to peek over the mountain then back to me. "Now."

He starts walking again, his stride brisk. And a second later, I'm following him, breaking into a jog to catch up.

When I catch up, matching his pace with my own, he glances sideways at me almost as if surprised that I actually followed him, and then he nods before facing forward again. I take that as a nod that following him was the right choice because I'm certainly not in any state to imagine that it's actually leading me to my death.

I watch the man at my side, wondering where he's taking me and who we're leaving behind that would've killed me. His hair is black and matted down to his head as if he's recently taken off a cap that's been on for far too long. His massive frame is hidden in a hoodie and loose pants.

My observations are cut short as he glances behind before looking at me, "if we don't make the treeline before the sun rises we're done for."

With no other warning, he takes off running. Shit. I sprint to catch up with him before slowing to match his pace. He's pretty frickin fast for a man of his size but I'm a runner, he's not losing me anytime soon. Although I'm still not sure if that's quite a good thing.

Soon we're running through the field at a breakneck speed, the line of trees still a good 100 paces ahead of us. We'll make it, I'm sure.