Kai narrowed his eyes. He tried to visualize it, staring right at her and flicking his hand. Everything went dark for Rosalind.

When she awoke again, Kai had a journal and a pencil in hand.

"Writing poems?" she asked groggily.

"No," he said. "I'm writing down spells I need to try out. I once heard of a witch doing a spell to rip a vampire's heart out—" he stopped when he saw Rosalind start twitching uncomfortably, trying to free herself. "That's it, isn't it? That's how you can die permanently."

"I just want to go home," she said in a small voice.

"Tell me the truth," he said, walking over to grip her face tightly. "Is that how I can kill you?"

She didn't respond. "Cool," said Kai wickedly. "So you can't die from being staked but you can die if you lose your heart. And... something tells me you'd die if you lost your head, too."

He chuckled darkly when he saw her looking away. "Well, I definitely need to practice those spells."

"Please no," she said quietly, tugging hard at the ropes, who wouldn't budge. "Kai, please, I'll let you practice any other spells on me, but not those, not something that will kill me permanently!"

"You say that like I'm supposed to care," said Kai. He waved his finger over her face, causing a 'K' to be carved into her cheek.

Rosalind tried to think of what she could do to get away before he had a chance to try the spell that would render her permanently dead. Really, all she felt was left to do was bargain until she figured out how to free herself. "You know, if you kill me," she said nervously, "I know a lot of people who won't be very happy. One being an Original vampire and the other the Original Hybrid. Not to mention the whole friend group would be livid. Everyone dislikes my inclinations toward murder, but they still care about me, and they will rain hellfire down on you if you murder me. They will ensure the other twins Merge so you can never be the leader."

"Nice try," said Kai. "But I'm not scared of your Original friends who aren't even here. And when I kill you, everyone will be so preoccupied with comforting poor Elena and poor Ruby that they'll leave Jo unguarded. And I will Merge with her, no matter what anyone tries to do to stop me."

"I'll let you keep practicing on me as long as it doesn't kill me permanently," she pleaded. "You could do anything as long as you don't rip my heart out or cut my head off. You could— you could light me on fire! Just to prove that it won't kill me permanently."

Kai smirked. "Lighting you on fire sounds fun. Watching you burn and scream..." he held his hand toward her, "Phasmatos incendia."

Rosalind let out a shriek of pain as she felt her body ignite. She felt the fire rushing up her arms, and held on just until she felt the ropes start to burn, loosening them enough so she could yank her hands out and rush away. When she was in the next hallway, she dropped to the ground, rolling until the fire was put out. She sped to the door, nearly jumping out of her skin when a hand grabbed her. Damon and Jo suddenly appeared in front of her.

"What the fuck?" she whispered. "Are you really here?"

"Yep," said Damon. "Glad to see you're still in one piece. Come on, let's go."

"But Kai—"

"Don't worry," said Jo. "Someone is taking care of that."

Damon led her to where his car was parked, offering her a small cloth to clean her singed face. "Luckily for you, Kai didn't remember to get rid of your phone and to turn it off. We tracked you digitally."