Chapter 1

This cannot be happening.

No.

My parents aren't dead. They can't be dead. They didn't die in a shipwreck. This is fake. This newsletter means nothing.

There's no way they died. We sent our best captain with them, the best crew too.

"Prince James!"

I sigh and swivel around in my desk chair to face whoever is calling for me. "Yes?"

It's my squire, David Graham. "Did you receive the newsletter yet?"

I take the newsletter into my hands and tear it into dozens of little pieces. "Will people please stop asking me that?" I seethe.

"Sorry, sir. I just wanted to pay my respects, and also inform you that someone is going to take the throne as soon as possible," David explains.

"Yes, David. I know. It's all anyone has been able to blabber about in the castle for the past day," I reply angrily.

David shakes his head solemnly. "I'm very sorry for your loss, sir."

"Yes, yes, thank you," I sigh.

Maybe I'm slightly in denial. I just don't understand how this could've happened. It just seems so out of the ordinary, especially since our naval captains are some of the best in our region.

"Have you chosen an heir to the throne?" David asks quietly.

"Don't mumble like that, David. Speak up, what is it now?"

He clears his throat and repeats his question, "Have you chosen an heir?"

"I have not."

"Well, I was thinking that you should, as our kingdom needs a new queen as soon as possible," he rambles. "You know, just choose from your female relatives."

I roll my eyes. "My remaining female relatives are largely mentally challenged, wouldn't you agree?"

David thinks about my rude comment for a moment. "Mentally challenged how?"

"They're absolutely and utterly moronic, squire! They don't know a horse from a donkey! How could I choose one as the heir?" I ask.

"Well, sir, you may want to consider Ciara. She does have the best academi-"

With a loud slam, my hands meet my desk. "No! No, no, no! She is a deceptive witch. She would only run this kingdom into the ground, and you of all people know that's the last thing we need."

He walks over to my desk and pats my shoulder. "Apologies, sir. I didn't mean to enrage you any more than this whole situation already has."

"It's alright, squire. It's just a horrible situation to be thrust into. What do I do?" I ask, somewhat rhetorically.

Sighing, David walks back to the door of my chambers. I turn back around in my chair to look at him. "I can't help you, I'm afraid. I'd recommend you choose an heir by tomorrow morning. You cannot be king, nor queen, obviously."

"Or can I?" I ask quietly, smirking to myself.

"What was that, sir?"

I let out a small chuckle. "Nothing, David. Goodnight."

With a dismissive nod, he responds, "Goodnight, sir. I hope that tomorrow will be a better day for you."

My squire leaves the doorway and closes the door behind him. What he said really gets me thinking. Since nobody in the kingdom other than those that work within the castle know of my existence, I can be king.

Well, queen, rather. It's going to be tough to pull off but I think I can do it. I wonder how the civilians will react to the royal family having a "daughter". They will most likely freak out and we'll be bombarded with questions on why I was hidden from the public and what the problem could have been.

The truth is that my mother had multiple miscarriages before she gave birth to me, and I was a pleasant surprise. Until I was out of the womb, that is. They were hoping for a beautiful baby girl, but instead, they got me. A son. A son which they cared for and loved, despite my gender. In the kingdom of Fraldain, it's truly a sad society for the men. Here, the women are always the head of the house. Not the other way around, like in most kingdoms.

All thanks to my great, great great, great, great–you get the idea–grandmother. A very long time ago, she lost her husband to war, and she was forced to take the throne and rule over the kingdom. Ever since, queens have taken power over our land and practically left men in the dust.

So, another big thanks to my old granny, I can't become king. My parents tried again for a daughter after I was born, but they were both aging and my mother was unable to conceive again. They thought that it would be better for me to be raised under wraps and kept a secret from everyone. It's been a lonely life, but at least I've had David by my side. We've grown up together and he's my best friend. I get mad at him a lot, though, since he's Captain Obvious most of the time.

But what he said tonight was truly eye-opening. I actually can be king. Or queen.

Tomorrow, I'm going to shock the entire kingdom.