Prologue (Part 1)

The government would thank him for this masterpiece when he was done.

Either that... or Elsher would be put in prison.

Isaac Elsher had been working on an invention. A dream that had lasted for a life time. And it was finished... so he'd called a friend of his, who had friends from the goverment. Now a few members of the White House were coming down to his place.

Elsher could just imagine the news--- all 2,600 channels--- telling the world about his discovery, about his genius plan.

" Isaac Elsher, the man who will go down in history!"

" Isaac D. Elsher, the man who changed the world forever!"

" Isaac Elsher, the one who made a portal that allowed people to teleport into the future!"

Ah yes. Elsher could just see it now...

His underground lab that had been passed down generations, from his great, great grandfather, being open to the public. Because of the plan that had he had been considering since he was seven years old!

Ah yes... for 29 years, Elsher had never let go of this hope. Constantly thinking about what his future would be like, constantly wondering how he would make it work...

And he had, finally, after all these years, created the perfect portal.

One that could teleport you from the present, to the future that it was set at.

And as Elsher waited for the goverment to arrive at the entrance of his underground lab, he felt madly exited.

His foot tapped the ground every few moments as he waited impatiently. He checked his watch." ALEX!" He growled.

Immediatly, his watch removed itself from his wrist, and spun in the air for a few moments, looking dazed... if a watch could look dazed, that is. When it finally faced Elsher, two venom green eyes peered from him out of the face of a miniature drone-like creature.

Ah yes.

The watch was actually a fitbit, which everyone had gotten bored of around 2030, even after the company tried so hard to update it and make it better. But nothing worked.

Until 2032, where a great man by the name of Alex Levine, had invented the 'Fit-Bit Drone'. The fitbit looked like any other fitbit... except it had one unique feature. You could name the fitbit, and when you called that name, it would form into a small little robot, about the size of the palm of your hand.

The robot had a fascinating feature as well; It acted like it had the brain of an actual human. It could talk, laugh, cry, and... actually have feelings. But it also could scan a whole state, and give directions to the exact place it's owner wanted to go, like a built in GPS... Except better.

The robot that Elsher had named after Levine, blinked at him, and said in a robot-iky (is that even a word?) voice," What is it, Isaac?"

" Elsher..."

" Elsher."

" What time is it, Alex?"

Alex fluttered in midair and yawned. They gave Elsher such an irritated look, that it would be hard to believe that this thing was made out of metal and screws, and powered from battery." You wake me up from my nap... just to ask me for the time? THE TIME?"

Elsher sighed." Yes, yes I know. I'm sorry; I'll just look at the screen next time, alright?"

Alex gave a long-suffering sigh." 5:30 A.M."

" 5:30?!" Elsher exploded.

Startled, Alex circled in midair for a moment, bumping into Elsher's chest before righting itself. They looked up at Elsher, their eyes spinning in their sockets.

" THEY'RE THREE MINUTES LATE!" Elsher walked over and glared into the water of the Mississippi River, before glancing up at the glowing lights in the town of LeClaire." Tell me, Alex. Aren't the Moon Walkers supposed to get them here on time?"

" Well... since the Moon Walkers have just been invented," Alex said, in what Elsher thought was supposed to be their 'teacher's voice'," There are bound to be some... errors..."

The Moon Walker, which was just created five months before, was meant to be somewhat like a surf board with wheels, with a very much unnecessary design of a quarter moon. Some scientists and inventors had proven that the Moon Walkers could go up to 9,500 miles per hour--- faster than the latest car, the 2062 Taser, which could go up to 6,432. But, unlike the Taser, the Moon Walkers stopped at the exact location it was told to go.

Because of the major increase of speed, the first person who had tested the Moon Walker, had fallen off and broke his spine.

Elsher glanced around." Argh... I know the trip for them is long, but-"

Just as he was about to say that they had promised that they'd be in Iowa in less than two hours, a white flash zipped passed him, along with some dramatic screaming.

Elsher stumbled back, baffled, as another shape nearly collided into him." AAAALE--" He fell backwards.

The robot gasped, and tried to get underneath Elsher to hold him up, but that didn't work.

Elsher lay there, dazed for a moment. Until he felt a shifting sensation on his back where he lay.

" E-Elsher... c-could you get off of m-me? P-please?"

" Oh!" Alarmed, Elsher stood up quickly. He brushed off his black suit, which he had chose to wear in the government's presence." My apologies, Alex!"

Alex fluttered up into the sky again, their venom green eyes rolling in their sockets once again." N-no need to a-apoligize, sir! Since I've been made out of metal, n-no harm done! Except... surprise... and a bit of... confusion.."

As Elsher pat Alex on the head, to make sure that they were okay, a man in a suit stumbled up to the both of them, looking like he was struggling for breath." I... uh... we need to... argh, my head... improve the..."

And the man toppled over, passed out.

Another man stalked up, looking dazed, but set on the topic." So uh..." he cleared his throat." Sorry that we're late, Sir..."

" Elsher," Isaac cut in quickly." Call me Elsher."

" Well, Sir Elsher..." the man looked around." I am Mark Solice. Call me Solice, though. I don't see this... 'underground lab' of yours..."

" Oh! Crap, I forgot about that... uhm.." Elsher looked over at the dazed Alex.

Alex blinked a couple times, regaining their concentration, before seeming to focus.

Solice squinted." Uhm-"

" HUSH!" Alex snapped." One must concentrate to do this task!"

Exactly two minutes later, the ground shook. Solice stumbled around a bit with a shout of surprise, and the man who had passed out sat up, looking groggy.

Alex and Elsher knew what was happening though. They both watched as the ground, a few feet in front of them, split open. A stone stairway rose up from the ravine. The ground stopped shaking, as everything was put into perfect place. The way Elsher and his good friend, Morris, had designed it to be.

Then suddenly, Alex began to plummet toward the ground.

" Al--" Elsher caught them before they could crash into the grass, and looked down at them, concerned.

Alex looked worn out." I-I think that's enough for me today... send me back...? Pleaseee?"

" Okay, I suppose you've done enough," Elsher sighed, and whispered," Egress."

So then, Alex transformed back into a fitbit. Elsher slipped the fitbit onto his wrist again, before looking over.

Solice was helping his friend off of the ground, staring at the ravine in awe. Elsher smirked at his shocked and amazed expression.

" Welcome to the Underground Lab, you two."

Word Count: 1,279