"Yes. What was that you said when you answered?"

"Suaveterre?"

I nod then realize he can't possibly see me. "Yes."

"That is my surname."

"Jonas Suaveterre. I feel a little embarrassed that I've known you for nearly a month and am just finding out your last name." I hear his answering chuckle.

"Don't laugh. for me to be so cautious, I'm really slacking."

"I'm not someone you should be afraid of. but I like that you are cautious, Ava."

"It's Avian actually."

"I like it. It means bird-like in French."

I smile into the line. "That's nice, but now that makes me want to fly."

Jonas chuckles. "Take care little birdie."

"I will. Would you like me to call you when I leave, father?" I bite my lip trying to keep from laughing but it doesn't help.

"Yes." Jonas hisses. "I'm old enough to be, but please don't look at me that way. I'm only trying to ensure you are safe, Ava."

I sober immediately at the conviction in his voice. Wow he is really worried for my safety. It's a nice feeling to be cared for but it also makes me weary when there is nothing that he needs to worry over.

"Thank you, Jonas. You don't have to worry. I'll speak to you soon, okay?"

"Avoir une bonne soiree, Ava. Have a good evening."

I like that he'd spoken in his native tongue. "You too."

Ending the call, I climb out of the car and head up the driveway to Sam's house.

~*~

                I bid Sam, Harry, and Trulah a goodnight before climbing into my car around ten. I hadn't meant to stay so long, but seeing Harry happy that I'd shown up made me feel guilty that I'd wanted to leave only an hour after I'd arrived.

                Sam kept close by me sensing my aversion to the large crowd. I hadn't expected so many. There were upwards near fifty guests, not counting the younger generations.

                When I finally climbed into my car and drive the fifteen miles to my apartment I was able to breathe in relief. I mount the stairs and pause when my feet remind me of their aching and I kneel to remove my heels and loop my fingers threw them as I retreive my keys from inside my clutch.

                My feet hit the floor of my apartment and I gasp in shock, looking up to see a man slumped at my door. Yelping I leap to the right, my back pressing against Jonas' door.

                I watch the coiled shape of the man as I slowly guide my phone from my clutch, ready to call for help. He groans and shifts and that's when I see his face. Fury takes over and I kick at his shin making him groan.

                "What the hell, Gage!?"

                His dark head lifts, his eyes slitting. "Ava?" he croaks. His brow furrows as those slitted eyes open further to rake over me.

                "What are you doing here, Gage? Shouldn't you be at home with your wife and kids?"

                "They left." Is his rasped reply and I don't feel sorry for him in the least. Gage Altman, a man I had once let in, deserved to have his life in upheaval.

                "It's been nearly five years!" I snapped at him. "She should have left you long ago."

                 Gage lifts a hand running it down his face. I see the darkened circles beneath his eyes and the weathered look of his skin but I still don't feel for him.

                He sighs heavily, then closes his eyes again as he leans his head against my door. "I didn't mean it. it just happened and-"

                "You cheated again?" That upset me. Gage was the first man I had ever gotten close to and when I'd thought I was in love I found that he was married with two young children.

                We'd met just after I started college. He was substituting for one of my professors and had asked myself and two other students to join him at a coffee house to witness a free-style and ultimately get the nerve to give our own poetry a chance to be heard.

                I had shown up thinking it would be a start to opening up with my thoughts without being ridiculed, and came to find that it was just Cage and myself at a quiet little pub. The others he said had called off for emergencies and though I was disappointed that he and I were alone I was enthused for the entertainment.

                We talked, laughed, and got on well and Gage asked me to join him again the following week and the week after. It never seemed like a date to me until two months had gone by and I was seeing him every couple of days. I'd grown fond of him and liked his company, so when he kissed me outside the pub one night I fell into it.

                We saw one another for six months and my heart grew even fonder. Gage came to notice and began to pull away. I thought he was afraid because of our age difference; him being 25 and me being just months from my 19th. Boy was I wrong. Age had nothing to do with it. It was guilt. Guilt that he had a family waiting for him at home when he and I had gone out.

                I was stupid and followed him one evening after he'd cancelled our date. I was happy when he pulled into a restaurant and was alone until another car pulled up and a beautiful model-esque woman climbed out, two children neither older than six ran toward Gage before he could get inside the restaurant. The youngest, a girl, with bouncing raven curls threw herself in his arms, screaming 'Daddy!' and the delight in Gage's eyes as he smiled at the child and hugged her close broke me.

                Needless to say I confronted him and he didn't deny it. he said he was having a rough time in his marriage and had slipped up, but he didn't want to hurt me. but saying that I was his mistake had hurt me. I gave him an ultimatum, either he told his wife of his infidelity or I would. in the end, he told her and she forgave him. I wasn't a home wrecker. Even though I was young, family was everything to me being that Aunt June was all I had.

                "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it." His apology is like a whip coiling around my neck and yanking my thoughts out of the past.

                "How many times since me?" I asked heatedly, wanting to kick him again.

                Gage shook his head, a mass of ebony hair falling over his brow. He didn't push it back as he looked up at me through the length. "A few." He admitted, the color washing from his face.

                "You are a real piece of work, Gage. I may have cared for you for a while but you brought this on yourself and I have no intention of giving you my sympathy. Why you are here is beyond me and how you knew where to find me is also beyond me, but I will say this... get your drunk ass off my door and get the hell out of here and don't return. I want nothing to do with you."

                "I just... I need to talk. Please, let me stay." Struggling to his feet he steps closer and I meld my back against Jonas' door further.

                "No. Leave."

                "Ava, please." His hand shoots out curling around my arm and without much effort he has me pulled against him. The stench of whiskey on his breath sends a shudder through my body. "Please talk to me. I've missed you."

                Through my teeth I say, "Get your hands off me."

                "Please." I struggle as he puts an arm around my waist bringing me flush against him. "You don't know how much I've missed you, Ava. You were always so full of life around me. I miss it. Please let me stay."

                He was crazy. He was drunk. That combination could have made for a bad night if the door behind me hadn't opened and in my surprise I stumbled backward, Gage landing on me forcing every ounce of breath from my lungs and the consciousness from my mind as my head thudded against the floor.

Amidst The Shadows(A ShadowLand Novel-Vol.1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें