Troublesome Mouth

Start from the beginning

"Aunt June," I gasp. "You were pushing us together last week. Don't get upset now."

"But I am. I just wanted the two of you to talk. You hardly talked to a single soul and at least you too had already met."

"And we talked again, and danced, and..." There goes my mouth running again.

"And?" She prompts. I jam my fist into my mouth, hold the phone away from my ear and scream into my fist.

"We had a good time." I say once I control myself and bring the phone to my ear again.

I hear a click-click that grows louder by the second as Aunt June stays quiet. I realize the sound is the tapping of her nails on the kitchen table as she can read me like a book without having to be right there in front of me.

"You know, Avian, I know you quite well and I know when you slip up and when you try to cover it up. So, what was that 'and' about? And don't beat around the bush because I will hop into my car and come over there and give you a spankin'. Just because you are an adult doesn't mean you can lie to your dear old Auntie."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"We... er, I kissed him. At the door. When we came back from the bar. And don't you dare gush over that. I was drunk and didn't mean for it to happen."

"Uh-huh. So you kissed him or was it he surprised you with one?"

I cringe before answering. "The former. Like I said I didn't mean for it to happen. I wouldn't have done it if it weren't for the alcohol."

"A kiss goodnight could be construed many ways honey, but I'll agree that the booze had a hand in that knowing you haven't kissed a man in years."

"And I'm not ashamed of that." I tell her vehemently.

"Neither am I, but a simple kiss isn't the end of the world. At least he didn't plan it."

I sigh heavily. "I'm not sure if he had plans on kissing me goodnight or not but he was surprised by my actions."

Just then, my cell goes off in the living room. And I'm appalled at the ringtone Audrey set for herself in that moment. Lady A's 'A Kiss Goodnight' could not have been more appropriate.

"Listen, Aunt June, I've got another call coming in. I'll call you back tomorrow, okay?"

"If it's Jonas, tell him I said hello."

"Will do. Love you."

~*~

A manila folder slaps the edge of my desk and I jump back startled, my chair rolling across the plastic mat beneath it. "Sam!" I hiss when I whirl to see the culprit.

He grins like he's won a prize. "I guess it takes a little surprise for you to call me by name."

I snatch the file from his hand and grumble under my breath. I'd only been familiar with him since yesterday when he grabbed me on my way to the employee lounge for lunch. I'd been so surprised that I'd called out his name and watched as he too backed away in surprise.

"I need to finish my work. I have a dead line and Harry will have my head if I don't edit this article before end of day."

"He will not." Sam denied. I had to agree though. Harry was very lenient with me and a few other employees but I didn't take advantage.

"Still, I need to finish this and you are bothering me." my breath hitches and my eyes expand in size. Did I just say that to one of my bosses?

Sam's response is to grab his stomach and let out a stream of laughter. "Relax, Avian, you're going to have to stop doing that." He straightens before looking at me seriously. "You think I'm going to reprimand you for speaking out like that and you have to stop thinking that. I'm not a horrible boss. I'm also your friend." The smile he gives me is warm. Friend. I don't have many of those. none really, if I'm not counting my co-workers.