The Price We Pay ✔️

Start from the beginning

*****

"Did you see the look on his face?" Jay asked, once we were sitting in the car. I was driving.

"Yeah. So?" I asked.

"So?" Jay asked back.

"We haven't done anything." I stated.

"Don't I know it." Jay sassed.

"Would you spit out whatever you're trying to spit out?" I said.

"Okay. Maybe this last month I don't like being the guy you use to get a rise out of your father figure." Jay exclaimed.

"You wish I was using you." I remarked.

"Oh, I'm serious. You have issues, you need to work them out. Work them out without me." Jay claimed.

"I repeat, we haven't done anything. And if you want to keep it that way-" I started but he cut me off.

"Hey,that'd be great."

"All right, perfect."

"Fantastic."

"You done?" I asked.

"I was done long before this conversation started." Jay replied.

"Really? Then shut up." I smiled.

We arrived to the murder site, we got out of the car, and there were two officers.

"Where's the dead guy?" I asked them.

"Homicide already came and went. Then the crime lab. Then the mort patrol." One of the officers replied.

"Thanks." I said. They walked away, and I looked around. "Is that one of our pods?" I asked Jay noticing a camera.

"Dinner at the Purple Pig? It's got the dump." I suggested.

"Those things suck." Jay said.

"I don't think so."

"Besides, you just told me to shut up and that we're done." Jay exclaimed.

"No, you told me we were done, but a girl's gotta eat."

"Now you're hungry." Jay sassed.

*****

"There." I said pointing to the footage. "Surf and turf." We were in the tech lab, watching the video back.

"It sucks. Like I said, you can't see anything." Jay said.

"Can you make this brighter?" I asked Jin.

"No." Jin said as I reached for the laptop so I can try, he slapped my hand.

"Come on. Dinner depends on this." I whined.

"What do you want from me? I can't make it daytime." Jin said. "I told you, the image on the file is the image on the file."

"Fine." I huffed.