Chapter 15: The Truth of the Past

Start from the beginning

      "Enjolras has never slept properly ever since," Courfeyrac said quietly, "It's either all-nighters, or if he does get to sleep, he's awake an hour or two later because of nightmares."

    "That's why you demanded that we leave you and take the children out, wasn't it?" Combeferre looked at his friend, "the reason why you stopped suddenly. You got stuck and didn't want to hold us back from getting the children out to safety." 

    "That and I didn't want you to see that I was panicking," Enjolras nodded, "throughout the entire time I was in there, I was terrified. Scared of the fact that the past would repeat itself all over again. Scared that I would die and that I would leave Kaylin all on her own."

     Everyone was quiet, taking in the sudden revelation. 

   Kaylin shifted and pulled her older brother into her arms, hugging him tightly as he shook from sobs that escaped from his chest.

      "Alexandre was Felix, wasn't he?" Clara quietly spoke up, slowly making the connection.

  "Yes, Alexandre and I were out that evening escaping from getting tutored in ballroom dancing," Enjolras nodded, looked shattered, "he was the one that also suggested the necklace."

     Kaylin looked at the necklace hanging around Clara's neck, the one her deceased brother had suggested they should get. 

      "It should have been me that died that night," Enjolras mumbled, "It should have been me, not Alexandre. It was all my fault. Mother and Father blame me for his death, I just know it. Alexandre was the perfect son, the perfect heir to our fortunes and estates. I should have been the one to die."

      "No!" Kaylin exclaimed fiercely, hugging him tighter, "No, don't say that!"

   "But-" Enjolras started. 

        "No, don't even think of finishing that sentence!" Kaylin cut him off, "Yes, I'm sad that he passed away and that I never got the chance to get to know Alexandre and that I had forgotten about him over the years. But Enjolras, I got to know you, I got to grow up with you and you have been the best brother ever!"

    Clara could see that Enjolras was listening, despite the fact that he seemed to be still hyperventilating.

     "You take care of me, you have my back and I have yours," Kaylin continued, "Enjolras, your the best brother I could ever ask for, and I'm sure Alexandre is watching you from above and is really proud of you."

     The two siblings stayed huddled by the fountain, Kaylin hugging him tightly in her arms as he began to calm down.

      "Kaylin! Marcelin!" A voice rang out, breaking the silence.

  "Mother!" Kaylin called back, waving her mother towards them. She Enjolras in a sitting up position just as their mother found them. 

     "Oh my goodness, Enjolras!" Countess Enjolras rushed to her son's side and engulfed him in a big hug. "Oh, oh thank goodness you're alright. I thought we'd lost you. Oh, my precious boy."

      Kaylin stood back and watched as Enjolras sat stiffly, awkwardly patting his mother's back in reassurance while she was clutching at him and sobbing. 

     Combeferre came up behind Kaylin and discretely slipped his hand into hers, out of sight just in case Enjolras should see. The last thing he wanted was Enjolras' wrath if he found out that he was courting his younger sister. 

       "I'll send someone to fetch our carriage from the stables and we can go home," Countess Enjolras smoothed away a strand of hair from her son's face and wiped away some of the soot.