Penelope Henituse was able to disappear from the estate without a single person the wiser for it.

She took the road towards the town square with absolutely no hesitation or knowledge that was where she was heading. The natural confidence and charisma with which she held herself caused the bystanders who did notice her from interfering with her chosen route.

That didn't mean that nobody took notice of her though. It was unusual to see an unattended child so small but it was nearly unheard of to see one who was clearly so well dressed. The girl practically had a kidnap me, my family is filthy rich and I'm defenseless flashing above her head in neon lights. If Penelope had been less wound up emotionally, she would have pieced together that danger as well. It wasn't entirely her fault though. Within the Henituse territory, the triplets were untouchable no matter where they wandered.

She just wasn't used to thinking of cities as dangerous. And she wasn't used to thinking of herself as a child.

Penelope spotted a fountain after she'd traveled a far enough distance that her stubby legs ached and took a seat on the ledge before looking around to see her surroundings.

The too-blue sky above didn't suit her sour mood at all, but the birds sweeping through the sky and briefly rushing past the lingering clouds settled her nerves. She let her gaze naturally take in her surroundings. A bustling and cheerful city scape, full of all sorts of stalls and shoppers, a man carrying his child upon his shoulders and some children daring each other to take a dip in the fountain. A woman laden with vegetables and a few nondescript people huddled up in an alley for the minimal shelter it offered.

She supposed there were homeless people no matter where you went. How stupid that was the case. She couldn't help but feel that there ought to have been someone somewhere with power who thought of having a home as a right rather than a privilege. Then again, power didn't necessarily begot sensibility. Or mercy and charity, all things considered.

Penelope wasn't much for people watching but in this case, it helped to ease her nerves. All of these people who had nothing at all to do with her and couldn't care less if she existed or not.

She was alone in the crowd but there wasn't anything wrong with that. She found comfort in the solitude. She was okay just like this. She didn't need siblings and she didn't need comfort.

It was probably lucky that Penelope Henituse made such a puzzling sight for the passers by. Hardly anyone, even those who might have foul intentions, dared to approach her. For as much as she appeared to be an easy target she was also too good to be true. Anyone with any self preservation wouldn't approach such an obvious trap.

Of course it was only a matter of time before someone broke that taboo and took it upon themselves to test the waters of the peacefully resting child. Perhaps even a concerned citizen would find the guts to help her home. However before anything of the sort could happen, Penelope was approached by a pair of children who did have an appropriate entourage accompanying them.

The younger of the two was the first to speak, arrogantly puffing out his chest at Penelope and asking without an ounce of manners. "What are you doing here?"

Penelope fixed the boy with a droll look. What incredible stupidity was this? Some kid who felt a need to put those around him down in some small way to feel better about himself? She could scoff, she was all too familiar with the behavior.

Unfortunately she did scoff and the boy's face reddened with indignation at the response. "I'm trying to help you, idiot!" He said gracelessly. "You're asking for trouble just sitting around here alone."

The older boy, standing sedately behind his foolish companion nodded in agreement. "Where's your home?" He asked and it could have sounded like a comforting offer to be escorted home. But it didn't. He had one of those voices that spoke of a person who was so used to looking down on others that he did it as naturally as breathing.