•14•

Without another word, I stormed out of the room. They knew all along and no one told me. Amelia knew my own father before I even did. Since when did they even meet?

"Rae-." Bradley shoots up, meeting me at the door. Behind us I hear Mom and Pete leaving my room, their eyes on us as they tried to stop me. "Did you know?" I fight back tears, crossing my arms as I looked up at him.

"Know what?" His eyes narrow down at me, confusion written on his face. It was enough for me to know he wasn't lying to me.

"Everyone seems to know Maverick's my father but me!" I spat, opening the door and storming outside. Rain pelts down around me as I stepped out on the covered porch. Bradley's hand gently moves me over as he follows me outside.

The two of us sit in silence as we sit down on the first step, covered by the roof over the porch. All my anger towards Bradley dissipated and directed towards my family.

Sighing, I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry." I apologize, watching the rain hit the pavement. A sigh leaves his lips before he responds.

"I'm sorry too. I made you feel like you were just a fling when you were far from it." He slowly inches towards my hand, testing the waters.

Interlocking our fingers, I savored the feeling of his hand in mine. "You just wanted to keep your personal life separate, and I'm sorry I made you feel like you had to tell me everything. It's just it felt like I was just something to keep your mind off of the mission-."

"You're anything but. I didn't want to ruin what we had so I never really acted on my feelings towards you. I was scared about what would happen to you if I didn't come back." His hand squeezes mine before lifting my hand to his lips, pressing a kiss on the back of my hand.

A comfortable silence envelops us, the only sound I heard was the rain pelting the ground.

"Remember when I said you were the one thing not connected to the navy?" Rooster speaks up, breaking the silence between us. Nodding, I adjusted to look up at him from his shoulder.

"Well, I was wrong. You're a Mitchell." He attempts to lighten the mood, a gentle smile on his face. I knew he was trying to make me smile, but it was still hard to process this new information.

"Too soon." I sigh, looking down at our hands. He nods, resting his head down on mine.

"He pulled my application to the Naval Academy." Bradley sighs. Furrowing my eyebrows, I scooted closer to him.

"Sent me back four years." He continues, straightening his posture and looking out over the neighborhood. Lifting my head, I looked over at him. His face was solid, no emotion behind his words.

"Maverick hate club?" I proposed, playfully nudging his shoulder. A short laugh leaves his lips as he looks over at me. "I can't hate him, as much as I want to. Him and my father were best friends, and I know my father is at peace with everything. Maverick was basically my uncle growing up." His lips tighten into a weak smile.

My body softens into his, curling into his side. Releasing my hand, he wraps his arm around my waist.

"Well, after almost 21 years I know who my father is." I mutter, watching the way his knee bounces. Reaching over, I set my hand on his thigh to get him to stop.

"Wanna head home?" Rooster asks. Nodding, I realize I left everything I brought inside. "Shit. I left everything in there." I groan, sitting up.

"I'll get it, what all did you bring?" Bradley asks, standing up. "My purse is next to the door and my phone is on the table." I reply, looking up at him. He nods before pressing a kiss on my forehead and disappearing inside.

Now that we made up, I was glad to have him comfort me. He was the one thing that I truly needed to relax. Now that I knew about the mission, it felt easier to fall for him. Although I knew the risks, I was willing to take them.

The door swings open, Bradley joining me outside again. "Rae-." My mom tries to follow him. "I don't want to talk right now." I sigh, the ache in my throat resurfacing as tears threatened to fall.

She sighs, but agrees before disappearing down the hallway. My eyes make contact with Pete's before the door shuts behind Bradley.

Looking back to my car, I see Bradley's truck wasn't in the driveway. He must have rode here with Maverick. My chest crumbles as I break down.

An arm slips around my waist, silently pulling me into his chest. I didn't want him to see me like this, so I dug my head into his shirt.

He stays silent, letting me cry but comforting me. A kiss is placed on the top of my head, a soft reassurance.

"Let's get you home, princess." He speaks up, slowly beginning to lead me down the steps. Everything was getting to be too much, so I just let him lead me into the rain.

•••

"Stay? Just for a bit?"

Bradley and I still had so much to talk about. We had to figure out exactly what we were. After everything at dinner, I needed to figure everything out so I knew what I was getting into before progressing.

Bradley nods before sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"What are we?" I cross my legs, looking over at him. His eyes brighten as he looks at me, warming my heart.

He clears his throat, turning his body towards mine as he slips off his shoes. His body inches towards mine as he gets comfortable, sitting down in front of me directly.

"Can I be your boyfriend?" He beams, gently reaching out for my hands without taking them in his. His large hands rested on my lap. A bright smile etches onto my face, a warm feeling bubbling in my heart.

"There's no one else I'd want." I beam, basically flinging myself into him. He laughs, leaning us back against the foot of the bed so we were laying together.

Giggling, I lean my head against the mattress as I look at him. His perfect brown eyes with just a touch of green at times, the freckles peppered over his cheeks, the iconic mustache, everything about him made my heart skip a beat.

He smiles, reaching over and brushing hair behind my ear. "You're pretty." I smile, resting my hand on his cheek. He chuckled, a blush creeping onto his cheeks as he looks down between us.

"B." I gain his attention, using my hand to lead his gaze to mine. His eyes flick up to mine, gorgeous in the dim lighting. The only light that was on in my room was my lamp on my nightstand.

"Kiss me, please." I murmur, my eyes flicking down to his lips. A smirk replaces his calm facial expression before his tongue darts out to wet his lips. His hand on my cheek falls to the back of my neck, pulling me in to his lips.

His warm lips crash onto mine, melting me into him. Fireworks set off at the pit of my stomach as my eyes fluttered closed. His touch down my arms to my waist ignited my skin. The path he took felt like it was on fire.

Bradley's lips still had a faint taste of Dr Pepper from dinner, and I couldn't get enough. I was intoxicated by him.

My body melts into his, my lungs beginning to burn from the lack of oxygen.

The two of us part just enough to look into each other's eyes, feeling each other's breath fan over our skin. His hand rests on my hip, his thumb playing with the belt loop of my shorts.

"Thank you." I manage out, my brain foggy from the kiss. He laughs, his eyes crinkling. It was surely my new favorite sight.

"You're so cute." He laughs, pulling me into a tight hug.

As I relaxed into him, I realized he had no way home.

"First sleep over as a couple?" I tease, pressing a kiss on his chest before looking up at him again. "Oh, you're right. I do have no way home." He confirms, pressing a kiss on my forehead.

Although he didn't bring extra clothes, I was sure tonight would be something to get my mind off of tonight. It would get my mind off of my father making his big 'debut' in my life.

Nodding, I gently reached over for my tv remote before turning it on. The two of us cuddled and watched our favorite movies together.