Chapter 10: Don't

Start from the beginning

Chris stepped behind Rubio as the judge calmed down. The teenager removed both hands off the judge's arms. Chris continued, "Your Honor, it was just the breeze. You're ok." she said calmly, placing both hands on Rubio's shoulders, who stood face to face with the judge. What was impressive was that the young man was calm enough to look at the judge in the eyes!

"Oh my! I'm so...sorry" the judge mumbled, as he regained consciousness.

"You ready to go?" Street asked still standing in the tower of furniture.

"Yes, officer!" snapped the judge.

Chris went around Rubio, nodded to him and gave the teenager a quick hug. She couldn't be more proud of him! Street shout a quick grin, staring at them from the top.

Rogers began making his way to the top, then suddenly turned towards Rubio and Chris, who were still standing next to each other. "Thank you, young man." he said with a nod

Rubio was speechless, turning to Chris with his jaw almost touching his shoulder. He smiled at her and she nodded in approval. The judge quickly turned and headed out.

The prosecutor came next, then Rubio. Just as Chris grabbed Street's hand for balance...

GOOOOOOUUUUU

GOOOOOOUUUU

RRRRRRROOOOAAARRRR

The heavy shake made both officers lose their balance and fall backward. Street landed awkwardly, immediately letting out a loud groan.

"Ma! Pops!" Rubio called frantically from outside.

After a few seconds of shaking the structure finally calmed down and the officers relaxed. Chris landed hard of her left shoulder. Street landed awkwardly on his tailbone, right before a chair landed heavily on his right hand.

"AHHH" he yelled in pain as he grabbed his hand.

"Street, you ok?"Chris called, just a few feet from him

"My hand is throbbing real bad." he complained, holding on to it, grimacing in pain

"Hey!" she called, approaching him, "it's ok. Let's get out of here!" she said before turning and realizing the steps to reach the vent space tumbled. She rush over to Street and checked his injury.

"Street, don't move it so much. You might have fractures."

"What? Ow!" he grimaced, trying to close up his fist.

"Ma! Pops!" called Rubio, kneeling over the opened hole, desperate to help.

"Do not even try it, Rubio! No!" she said sternly, knowing his intentions of coming in. "Go with the judge and the group to safer ground!"

"I can't leave you!" he said between sobs

"Rubio, go!" she called, as she began placing the tables and chairs back

She stopped when she realized one of the tables was wobbly, the chair that landed on Street's hand broke a leg and the small step was messed up beneath the industrial sized table.

"Uh oh!" she exclaimed, realizing her predicament just got more complicated.

Outside, Rubio hung his head as he walked away from the opening. He didn't want to leave them because he knew Street was hurt. The judge and the others were already on the other side, in the next door parking lot. There, EMTs and other units met them and were checking to make sure everyone was ok.

Suddenly...

BOOOOOOOOM

A heavy explosion sent Rubio tumbling to the ground, covering his head with debris. The hot breeze felt like he had just dove into a volcano! He felt small cuts all over his arms and pants, as the glass windows of the side of the building had exploded. He turned his head to the front of the building and notice a huge smoke cloud coming from the intense fire in the street.