Erroneous.

April 15th, 1933

I don't feel mature, I feel like a child. I feel little, and small, lost and unimportant. That's how I felt all the time- being ridiculed by my mother, my brothers beginning to cast me away, Royce's every move around me when we were by ourselves, and his facade as well as mine had faded. My life had plummeted from where I was mere weeks ago. I had a perfect life, I had everything.

 He sure fooled my mother, though. She was mesmerised, mystified that a man as perfect-  as rich- as Royce would pop into our lives. Her life. I really wondered now, if my mother cared at all for my well being and happiness. She had thrown me under the bus when Royce formally proposed marriage to me two weeks prior. She was the one that accepted the offer, not me.

Even my father, who was the one in the most demise, had a small frown on his face. My brothers were on edge, happy to be granted the chance at college. My mother would finally get her stardom, her latest fashions and ritzy dresses. But what about me? Is it selfish to ask, where is my peace in this happiness? Where is my happy family, my children, my big house in the grassy terrain- more importantly, my loving husband?

March 30th, the day that chunk of diamond slipped onto my finger, Royce had caved in. He stopped sending bouquets, sweet notes, buying dresses- Hell, he even stopped shaving. And lord help me, he wasn't suitable with stubble. Royce had become a man I no longer recognized, he wasn't the man my mother brainwashed me into falling in love with. I knew this man was perfect, he had to be! He was rich, he had treated me well...

"Rosie, dry up! You're actin' like a dumb Dora..." My mother growled vehmently as she threw a pair of gloves at me.

"You be back before midnight, or I'll give you greif- you know it child!"

I sighed and closed the doors, her last words ringing in my head. I rubbed my temples gently as I continued down the road toward Vera's house. In times where I couldn't understand myself, she understood me. She was everything I would ever need in a best friend, a sister. As I made my way past houses, nearing closer, I could hear a child's laughter followed by a seasoned man's.

I felt my throat close up, and my eyes fill with tears.

 Why is it that she had everything? I know that there was no way I would ever have what she did if I stayed with Royce. I would be rich, and that would be the only thing I had.

I know it's very unlike me to consider the thought, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that what would make me happiest isn't money. It never was. Being happy would make me happy. Having my family, my children, my husband... I shuddered at the thought of Royce being that man. No matter how much brainwashing I was subjected to by my mother, I refused to believe that a two-faced man like Royce could bring me anything but grief.

-

I hadn't done much, or said much when I first arrived inside. It was a casual "hello" to Johnathon as I waited for Vera to settle Henry's crying. I couldn't help but look him up and down, to see if I was missing some outstanding aspect that made him so desirable. There wasn't anything. I imagine his calloused hands would feel rough, and his appearance was rather scruffy... No, there wasn't anything on the outside that made Johnathon special. It was him, just him all along.

I forced a weak smile as Vera entered, and she eyed me suspiciously. That girl, she could give me away in a heartbeat.

"I, er, suppose I'll go tidy the house." John smiled and quickly made an exit, seeing that we were in need of "girl time".

I sighed and slumped into a kitchen chair, "Am I that obvious?"

"Would you like to hold him?" Vera smiled, dismissing any prolonged feelings, and held out her beautiful son toward me.

I blinked, and nodded as I took him cautiously into my arms. This was the first time I held him. It almost felt like I was seeing my child for the first time, because I had always thought of Henry, having my own Henry, Henry being mine. I felt dazed as his hazel-green eyes looked up at me, they creased at the corners when he flashed a toothless, dimpled grin, followed by a gurgling coo.

Something inside me made my throat swell, and I quickly looked up at Vera.

"You're always welcome here," she smiled gently and continued.

"I know we don't have much, but if you ever decide to leave that aweful place..."

She wrinkled her nose and laughed gently, taking Henry back into her arms. After all, it was her arms he belonged in.

I nodded and smiled quickly, "Yes, thank you. I'll visit more often."

She smiled brightly as she glanced at the clock, "Well Rosie, I guess I get to be the first to say it! Happy 18th birthday!"

Just then, Johnathon had swung around the corner where he was hidden behind a wall, and held up a crookedly wrapped box.

"Vera, you didn't have to..." I frowned slightly, remembering how little they had to spend, even on themselves.

She quickly waved her hand, furrowing her brows, "Don't you start! Open it!"

She was squirming in her seat as I gingerly took the box and lifted the paper. Inside the box was a pink, miniature fedora with a thin white feather- the kind of thing Royce would buy. I plastered a smile on my face, truly happy at such a present. Despite the memory it might bring up, it was a lovely hat.

"I love it!" I kissed her cheek and hugged Johnathon.

I have happiness right here, I thought.

-

It was rather late when I said my third goodbye and headed down the lamplit streets. The air was much colder now that the Sun was tucked away, and the faint sound of police sirens could be heard from several streets away. It wasn't until I noticed an unexpected group on a street corner not so far away that I became suddenly uneasy.

And then it hit me.

That small, frightened feeling was no longer butterflies, but a swarm- a hoard of fanged insects, rotting me from the inside out.