10. And You Said You'd Understand, Well It Looks Like It Was All For Show

Start from the beginning

“Then I wouldn’t believe that in a thousand years.”

Wilbur knows he’s been caught; Tommy can see it in the way that warm mask of his cracks, and the expression under it drips with sourness, as if a piece of lemon was forced down his throat. The longer Tommy stares, the more annoyed Wilbur looks. He quirks an eyebrow at him, as if asking, ‘ Happy now ?’

He is, really. It’s a lot easier to talk to Wilbur when he isn’t pretending to be the caring older brother he once used to be. It messes with Tommy’s mind; Wilbur’s words are vines that wrap around his neck, the blooming flowers tickling his ears and whispering of things that he knows are no longer true.

“So it is about Prince Dream, isn’t it?” Tommy asks.

“Can’t blame me for being curious about why the famous crown-prince of Esempi suddenly took interest in you.” Wilbur leans against a wall. “Did you know that they call him the Spider of the southern court?”

From what Tommy’s heard, courtiers of Esempi are afraid of Prince Dream more than they are wary of King Foolish. His connections sprawl for much further than the palace walls or even the Dragon’s bay; nobles from all around the country have their weak sides and dark secrets all tangled up in the spider web, bouncing like puppets on strings whenever the prince feels like tugging at them.

Tommy hums. “Now that Prince Dream is here… could it be that you are afraid for your title of the most manipulative bastard in the Empire?”

Oh how satisfying it is to see Wilbur almost choking on air upon his words. Tommy’s mood immediately takes a massive leap upwards, though deep down, he knows that it wasn’t the right thing to do. He might’ve had the element of surprise – but it’s Wilbur’s game, and he will not fail to answer Tommy’s bold move soon.

“Look who’s finally grown a tongue,” Wilbur manages to get ahold of himself, his lips twisting into a playful smile, his teeth flashing in a predatory scowl. “Don’t forget to keep it in check tonight. I’d be a shame if your words will turn against you.”

If this isn’t a threat, then Tommy doesn’t know what is. He opens his mouth to answer, but then the hinges creak and Techno appears, blocking the doorway with his broad shoulders.

“There you are,” he grumbles. “What’s taking you two so long?”

“Me and Theseus had a nice little chat,” Wilbur says, and Tommy holds the urge to snort.

“Well, we should get going now,” Techno says. “The ceremony will start soon, and Father has sent me to bring both of you.”

“Let’s not keep His Majesty waiting, then,” Tommy says.

***

Annually, on the opening ceremony of Solstice celebrations, the whole Imperial family makes a grand entrance. It’s a tradition both of meaning and practicality; the Empire’s royals demonstrate their power and unity while simultaneously introducing themselves to the foreign guests. The members of delegates change – not all of them, of course, but for the new faces, the first true impression on the Imperial family will be formed today.

Here they are, walking through the hall that leads to the palace’s grand ballroom. Tommy exchanged a short greeting with the Emperor before joining his usual place to the man’s right. He seems to be in a good mood today; his smile’s wider, his gestures are more open and welcoming. Tommy thought that he’d be more upset that he couldn’t let Ranbooto  tag along, but it seems that his worry was for nothing. He even lets a timid hope bloom in his chest that the Emperor looks happy because they get to spend the evening together, not only like an emperor and a crown-prince, but a father and his son.