2. Are you Here, Are You Listening

Start from the beginning

He is careful to keep out the displease out of his tone, but still stumbles into a disapproving look from the Emperor. If there is someone that his rude demeanor surprises today the most, it’s Tommy himself. Usually, he is better at keeping himself put; perhaps it’s the tiredness finally taking a toll on him.

The hardest part hasn’t even come up yet. He needs to concentrate. Tommy doesn’t like postponing his duties and wasting time on unnecessary breaks, but if Wilbur does show up at the lunch, he knows that he is going to need some real rest afterwards.

And as the saying goes, it’s just the moment that Wilbur chooses to appear.

“Forgive my brother,” honey-sweet voice croons from behind. “Theseus is not at fault that he grew up in this luxury and, consequently, doesn’t have enough appreciation for it.”

The second oldest son of the Emperor – though only a few minutes younger than his twin brother Techno – is, frankly, a bastard, but he is a well-mannered bastard, and it makes matters ten times worse.

Like a fae from the tales they used to listen to as children, he rarely lies, but twists the truth to serve his own purposes, and his current purpose is mostly trying to make Tommy slip. At every step of the path the crown-prince walks, Wilbur is there to throw him off: at this point, the mere sight of unreadable dark eyes makes him tense.  

Tommy can’t even talk back to him. It’s not because Wilbur is older – age means very little in this empire, and prince Theseus is a living proof of it – but because any word that leaves his mouth might be used against him later, and there is a limited number of things that Tommy cares more about than the royal family’s reputation.

Not even a muscle twitches on Tommy’s face as he slowly turns around to face his brother. “Good afternoon, Wilbur. I assume you haven’t greeted His Majesty yet?”

Wilbur narrows his eyes – a silent admission of his defeat – and as if nothing has happened, he turns to the Emperor, “Father, I’m happy to see you in good health.”

The Emperor nods back at him. “Wilbur, meet my guest, Ranboo.”

Ranboo comes to his senses at that. He bows clumsily under the prince’s long, studying look.

“Ah, you must be Ranboo,” Wilbur puts a hand on the boy’s shoulder and leads him back into a standing position. “No need for such formalities. My father’s friend is my friend.”

“Thank you but- how do you know my name?”

“The whole palace is buzzing with gossip about a visitor with differently colored eyes. I must admit, that is quite an unusual sight to see.”

Wilbur’s smile looks very welcoming and warm. It’s enough to fool anyone but Tommy. He still remembers what his brother’s actual smile looks like, and it used to be so much more than a curtain to hide the calculated look in his eyes; one of a predator thinking of the best way to tear someone apart. At times like this he wishes he could take a peek into Wilbur’s thoughts and see the world in his eyes, with every person’s weak points laid out before him – just squeeze hard enough and they will break.

“Is Fundy going to join us today?” he asks, breaking the exchange of pleasantries and turning everyone’s attention to himself.

Wilbur tilts his head, “I believe he is still attending his lessons.”

“I see no reason why we’re still not starting our meal, then.”