003 ice breaker

CHAPTER THREE

Ice Breaker

     'You're The One That I Want' roared through the miniature apartment at full volume as three ladies bustled around busily

     'You're The One That I Want' roared through the miniature apartment at full volume as three ladies bustled around busily. Singing along, Gloria whipped up rounds of perfect pancakes as Mary got a very fiddly Venus dressed and ready for the day.

     "I got chills, they're multiplying," Mary sang under her breath as she finished plaiting Venus' beach blonde hair. "Happy with it, baby?"

     "Yeah!" Venus gleamed, hopping down from the stool and running into the pancake smelling kitchen. "Don't run, Vee, you might crash."

     Venus rolled her eyes and mumbled a quick 'whatever'. Gloria laughed and put all her strength setting the five year old down calmly on the counter top to finish the batch. Mary flicked through the rest of the CDs and picked 'Songs From The Big Chair'. Sliding the disk into the machine, 'Head Over Heels / Broken' began to play. It was one of Mary's favourite songs ever and it held many memories, some of which troubled her to some that comforted her.

    Mary was busy in her bedroom, well, Venus' and hers bedroom. The mother and daughter shared one big bed for two reasons: beds were fucking expensive and there was no space in the compacted room to fit another person, let alone a bed. Her mind was racing the endless thoughts of the sudden change of her future plans, too worried and preoccupied with her makeup and hair to hear Gloria's calls coming from the kitchen.

     Gloria nudged the door open with a inquisitive Venus sitting on her hip. Gloria noticed Mary was once again trapped in her own treacherous mind to even notice the other two at the door. "Mama!" Suddenly Venus snapped, awakening Mary from her daydream.

   Setting Venus down on the floor, Gloria ushered her to the kitchen to leave the two older women alone. "Don't be scared,  Mary dear. This man saw talent in you, true potential and he wouldn't fly over to Brooklyn just to pull a silly little joke. Whatever happens, you mustn't fear. Remember when you told me you were blindly following the path that God carved out for you," Mary nodded, "well why back track now? Life's just getting sweet for you, baby."