"Do you regret coming with me?"

Rufus stiffened, shocked that the words had managed to pry themselves free of his mouth when he'd had his teeth clenched so tightly.

Elphi twisted at the waist and studied him, bracing herself when the carriage hit a bumpy stretch of road that made her voice wobble as she said, "No, though I will admit your conversational skills could use more improvement."

He opened his mouth, instinctually wanting to disagree with her statement, but his defense stuck to the back of his throat, so he nodded. "You're right."

"I know," she murmured with a teasing glimmer in her eye. "And if it escaped your notice, humility is also among my best qualities, second to my intelligence and wittiness."

"You've made lists?" He asked, more amused than unsurprised by the idea. "Of your own faults and virtues?"

Elphi lifted her chin, letting Rufus know he'd struck a nerve. "Of course. I'd be the worst sort of hypocrite if I made lists of other people's flaws without writing my own."

The carriage slowed, and Elphi turned and bonked her forehead against the windowpane when it rounded the sharp turn in the road. "Are we there, Rufus?"

Was it desperation or excitement he heard in her voice? Rufus wasn't sure. "Almost."

When their carriage finally rolled to a stop in front of the medieval ruins known as Kernwith Hold an hour later, two concerns jumped to the forefront of Elphi's mind that she could not ignore when Rufus moved to exit the vehicle.

Surprising herself with her speed, she closed the door and shook her head. "There's no need to go any further."

He blinked several times in apparent confusion. "Why is that?"

Elphi motioned to the crumbling stone monstrosity in exasperation and voiced concern number one. "I've solved the case. It is most assuredly haunted."

Rufus gave her a curious look, glanced over his shoulder, and then faced her. "Well, yes, however, determining that is only part of my duty. I still need to go inside."

He reached for the handle, but Elphi latched onto him and refused to let go as she voiced, rather loudly, concern number two. "It isn't safe, Rufus."

"Elphi," he sighed, resting his hand atop hers. "This castle has been standing for the better part of four centuries—"

"Precisely my point—"

"And though it looks a bit," he continued as though she hadn't spoken, pausing only to glance out the window before turning to her again, "rough, I'll admit, Lord Waltham wouldn't reside here if it weren't a sound structure."

"Rough?" she hissed. "More stones litter the ground than are in walls, husband."

"It's under repairs."

She narrowed her eyes at his too-quick reply and gritted out through clenched teeth, "It. Isn't. Safe."

Rufus heaved a sigh and gave her hand a pat, which turned into him prying her hand off of him and capturing both of her hands in his when she tried keeping him inside the carriage.

"Elphi," he grunted, sounding out of breath as he adjusted his grip, opened the door, released her, and jumped from the vehicle.

Rufus smoothed his hair back into place, adjusted his coat, quickly turned to her, leaned in, and whispered, "You don't have to go in, but I do."

Suddenly, the ancient door opened and Lord Waltham, a balding, middle-aged man dressed two decades behind the current fashion, appeared and greeted Rufus.