Nine

Dís

Buckland, by the Forest

Mid-October 2958

Her tent leaked. Dís lay on her camp cot and glared at where the water permeated the thick fabric of her temporary home. She knew that the leak shouldn't make her angry, but it did. Dís had lived a simple life before in Ered Luin. Or, at least, she had thought it was simple. Compared to what Raven was used to, however, Dís and her family had lived in downright luxury. Dís ground her teeth in frustration. Her niece was on the verge of starving, and yet they were still here waiting on Bilba to return. If Bilba was anything like Dís, then they shouldn't have any problems. Dís and Fíli had arrived to investigate. When they discovered the poverty that Raven lived in, they should have taken the girl and left. Should have, but didn't because Dís wasn't a complete monster. This was still Raven's home; the entire world as she knew it. Furthermore, Raven's aunt and the two elves refused to grant Dís permission to spirit Raven away. The only place that they would even hear of Raven traveling to was Rivendell. Dís scowled in her bed, like she'd ever willingly deliver her niece to that elf lord's care. As it was, the girl didn't know how to defend herself and spoke more of the Elvish drivel than she knew any Khuzdul. It was a shame. Raven was a princess of the line of Durin and, what was more, she wanted to learn. Instead, Primula and the elves insisted that Raven continue with her previous studies. Structure, they called it. Idiocy, Dís judged.

Dís had been living in the tent for nearly a fortnight now and she was coming to hate it. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy living in the outdoors. Nor did Dís begrudge the fact that better accommodations weren't to be had. They were, however, exhausted and relatively undefended. Not to mention that this wasn't the kind of lifestyle that she wished to expose to Raven. They could do better for the youngest daughter of Durin; they would, but they weren't allowed to. Yet, who was allowed to give her orders? Even Thorin's orders steered clear of Dís; she was a princess after all. Born and raised as royalty, Dís was accustomed to being respected and obeyed, not stood up to by hobbits and elves.

The leak dripped again, and Dís pushed back her blankets with a curse. Luxury wasn't an option now. Lying in bed and glaring at the rain spot responsible wasn't going to accomplish anything either. Clearly, despite her efforts, they were going to be in the Shire for a while. Therefore, although the dwarrow's time in the Shire was still temporary, Dís was done with living in a tent. They could not spirit Raven away, but it wasn't as if they lacked the supplies, dwarrow, or time to construct a few stronger buildings.

Her mind made up, Dís dressed quickly. After combing and redoing her braids, with practiced movements, Dís left her tent. She headed first in search of the soldiers who had come with them. The nearly two dozen dwarrow had been taking turns patrolling the area and hunting. Now, Dís had a better job for them than to wait to be called out on a few hours of riding.

Dís strode through the village of tents, heading for the main campfire. A good dozen dwarrow sat around it. They exchanged stories, braided their beards and sharpened their weapons.

"Princess!" they leapt to their feet as one at Dís's approach. At least amongst her own people she still had respect, Dís mused.

"Where are my son and Dwalin?" Dís demanded.

"Training with the Princess, Princess." Dís frowned. She had been so used to being the only princess, it seemed odd to share the title now. Yet, at the same time she couldn't help the smile that came to her lips both at the title and the response. Raven needed more training, and it was good that she was still attending her sessions with Dwalin and Fíli. After all, they had all heard her aunt's vehement protests. The hobbit felt that learning to fight simply enabled more fighting. Considering how Raven looked up to Primula, Dís had worried that Raven's enthusiasm would ebb. So far it had seemed to work the opposite way. In fact, Dís couldn't remember seeing a youngster as dedicated to her training as Raven. At least, not since Thorin had been a child.