Snargaluff, Curses, and S.P.E.W.

Почніть із самого початку

"We better get to work on this assignment before class ends." Cedric said.

They pulled out their books and began reading.

The Snargaluff is a plant that has the appearance of a gnarled stump, but hides dangerous thorn-covered vines that attack when provoked and is usually best handled by more than one person. It contains green pulsating pods about the size of a grapefruit which can be extracted. The pods' insides when broken open resemble pale green tubers, collected in bowls. They are best when fresh.

"So, who's going to be the one to take the pods from the Snargluff?" Claire said.

"I'll do it," Neville volunteered.

"Alright, then Claire and I will stop the vines from attacking you." Cedric suggested.

Neville nodded and the three of them walked over to the Snargaluff. They slipped on their dragon-hide gloves. Cedric and Claire raised their wands towards the plant and motioned Neville to go closer. Neville stepped closer to the Snargaluff. It sprung to life at once; long, prickly, bramble-like vines flew out of the top of the once seemingly harmless gnarled stump and whipped through the air. Cedric raised his wand and said, "Diffindo!" One of the vines was split in two and the plant whaled in pain and began to whip through the air faster. The vines began to grow sharp thorns.

"What the heck did you?" Claire questioned, as she ducked one of the sharp vines.

"I was trying to cut off the vines. I don't think it worked out very well." Cedric replied.

"Really? You think?" Claire said sarcastically.

"Don't you know that spell doesn't work for Snargaluffs?" Neville said, dodging the vines. "It irritates them and makes them more aggressive. We'll be lucky if we aren't eaten by it."

Claire glanced around and saw that they weren't the only ones having problems with their Snargaluffs. Riley's arm was stuck in the hole with the pods and McMillian was trying to pull him out and Hinder and Jacobs both seemed 'wrapped up' in their work (literally).

"At least we aren't the only ones having troubles," Claire said.

Neville, Cedric, and Claire spent the rest of class trying to get the pods. After several cuts from the thorny vines, they managed to get their pods three minutes before class ended. When the bell rang, they handed in their pods and Claire and Neville said goodbye to Cedric before heading to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

When they reached the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, Claire said goodbye to him and walked over to Harry and Ron.

"Hey! How'd Transfiguration go?" Claire asked them.

"Alright. How was Herbology with the seventh years?" Harry asked, noticing the few cuts on her face.

"Well, besides the fact Neville, Cedric, and I were almost eaten by a plant, wonderful." Claire deadpanned.

"Neville Longbottom?" Ron questioned.

Claire nodded. She then noticed Hermione was missing. "Where's Hermione—?"

Hermione appeared out of breath. "Been in the—"

"Library." Harry finished her sentence for her. "C'mon, class is about to start."

Hermione, Claire, Harry, and Ron found four seats right in front of the teacher's desk, took out their copies of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, and waited, unusually quiet. Soon they heard Moody's distinctive clunking footsteps coming down the corridor, and he entered the room, looking as strange and frightening as ever. They could just see his clawed, wooden foot protruding from underneath his robes.