ariana furrowed her brows as she took a sip of juice. she reached up with her other hand, resting her palm on my forehead. "don't overwork yourself, baby. i don't want you to burn out alright? just slow down a little."

i breathed out of my nose, slowly nodding. "i'm not overworking myself, i promise. if anything, i'm underworking myself. i promised myself i'd have it done by the end of the year and i'm not getting even close to that."

ariana sighed heavily as she turned in her seat, grabbing both my hands in her own. "baby, look at yourself! you look constantly exhausted, and that's not like you at all. you're tired and you're stressed, y/n/n, and both of us know that's not good for you. just please, please, take it easier on yourself."

"no, i'm fine ari. i promise, really. once i'm done with everything i'll take a lighter load. promise." i shook my head, sending her a reassuring smile.

ariana just sighed again, looking down to our conjoined hands as she shook her head. "sure, y/n. whatever you say." she spoke softly, patting my hands as she turned back around in her seat.

   i stared at her side profile before i turned myself around, continuing to eat my breakfast. the air was now tense and uncomfortable, making me sigh.

   "i-i'll take it easier. you're right, i am exhausted." i spoke softly, leaning over to kiss her temple. "i'm sorry."

   ariana shook her head as she grabbed my cheek, kissing my lips. "don't be sorry, love. i know how you like to push yourself and i respect that, but we all need a break sometimes. i just worry about you sometimes, alright? i love you."

   i smiled softly and kissed her once more. "i know, and i love you too." i brushed a loose piece of hair behind her ear before sitting back again. we both carried on with breakfast in a much lighter air, joking around and laughing with each other.

   it had literally only been a little over two months since ariana and i had unofficially gotten back together, and i was already ready to go and buy a ring.

   i love this girl more than life itself and i want to spend the rest of my life with her. she cared for me and always made me feel safe. i never had to worry with her and i only wanted to solidify that.

   but i didn't want to rush. everything good happens over time.

   both of us had already been engaged at least once, and i really wanted to make this one special for her. her other engagements always seemed half-assed and too rushed—which ariana thinks is why pete and dalton didn't work out. they were just moving too fast.

   and that's what i loved about us. we didn't need to move fast. we didn't need to have rings on our fingers or a piece of paper to show our love or commitment to each other.

   ariana whined and held her stomach as she finished her food, making me chuckle. she rolled her eyes at me as she leaned against my bare shoulder. "thank you for breakfast, you ass."

   i smiled, kissing the top of her head. "of course, beautiful." there was a sudden heat that flushed over my shoulder, and as i looked down i saw ariana's blazing red cheeks. she must've felt my gaze because she looked up at me with doe eyes.

   she whined again, nuzzling her face in my neck. "i hate that you still have such a hold over me. you aren't even that cute, like..." i scrunched my nose and slapped her shoulder blade, earning me a cute giggle.

   "ow dude, i'm kidding." she laughed, pulling back to see my face. she grabbed my cheeks quite roughly as she squeezed them between her nails. "you're gonna give me such cute babies."