𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟹

Start from the beginning

With your feelings completely laid out like an open hand of cards, all that was left to do was to make another play. But it seemed like neither of you knew the winning move in this unfortunate game the two of you had created.

You sighed. "I guess I should have ordered an extra shot of expresso in my coffee this morning."

"Yeah. You're going to need to be at the top of your game since Zeke's gonna be there," Eren said. His eyes found yours again in the rearview mirror. "Do you remember what I said about him?"

"Just that he's an ass," you said. Mikasa stifled a laugh.

"And that's all you need to know," Eren said.

"Okay, he's not an ass," Armin said. He looked back at you. "Don't worry. He's–"

"Nice to girls," Eren interrupted with a chuckle.

Mikasa slinked her arm around your shoulders, pulling you close with reassurance. Your face pressed into her hair, and the scent of violets filled your nose. "Then she has nothing to worry about. Right, Eren?"

Eren let out another half laugh in response. You didn't care for his sudden vagueness, but you were far too tired to put up a fight. You rested your head on Mikasa's shoulder, leaning across the middle seat in a way that made your seat belt tug tightly across your chest.

You were starting to see a newly-found warmth in Mikasa. She had always treated you with nothing but kindness since you first met, but there had been an observable difference in her lately. Her distinctly reserved attitude had melted away. It was replaced by a fondness that she now openly displayed toward you. You would have never imagined in a million years that she would wrap you in her arms, let alone allow you to curl up against her.

"Time to get up."

You heard Mikasa's soft voice as she tapped the top of your head. Your eyes fluttered open, and you steadily lifted your stiff neck from her shoulder. You sleepily looked around and watched your friends exit the car. The rain had finally slowed to a tolerable mist.

You stretched your back, unclasping your seatbelt as you did so. Eren opened the door for you. You shimmied around in your spot, pushing your feet into the floor of the car and lifting your hips so you could pull down your sundress. It was a fumbling, awkward sight.

"What a woman," Eren snickered.

You rolled your eyes and crawled out of the car and past him. He leaned into you, close enough that his voice would only be heard by you. "In all seriousness, don't worry too much. My mom already loves you."

You looked up at him, your head still feeling fuzzy from your so-called nap. "Does that mean you've been talking to her about me?"

"Something like that," he evasively said, mimicking your words from earlier.

He held onto your waist and maneuvered you around to face him directly. His hand came up to tuck a stray piece of hair behind your ear. His movement was slow, letting his fingers graze over your cheek and temple.

"There," he said. "Wouldn't want you looking like you just woke up or something."

"Ha-ha."

Armin and Mikasa were already making their way toward the house before you and Eren could catch up. You watched as they walked through the front door without hesitation. It was safe to assume they were very familiar with Eren's house, especially considering their baby faces were plastered across the walls.

You stepped through the front door, and your senses were flooded by the scent of dinner on the stove. It smelt hearty and rich, like a curry or soup. It made the already cozy house feel that much warmer, which was desperately needed on such a gloomy day. Your stomach was already growling as you were unbearingly reminded that all you had eaten was a blueberry muffin.