Chapter 9 - Three feet rule

Start from the beginning

Other times they were comforting. Especially when she tries to cheer him up when he has a bad day or when he and Bianca fight. And rarer times, they were of pride. It would appear on her face on the days when he caught a villain successfully or when he would make something absolutely ridiculous and show it to her.

His favourite was when he passed a test. He would run to her, shove the paper in her hands and hug her until she would complain that she couldn't breathe. As he let her go, that dang smile was there, showing him how proud he was of her.

And yet, Henry still wondered why Bianca wanted Charlotte out of his life.

Sitting alone in his living room, Henry let out a breath and leaned his head back against the couch, his eyes staring at the ceiling. It stared back at him, taunting him with silence and leaving him to dwell in his thoughts.

It was interrupted by a knock on the door. Henry got up to answer it and was surprised to see the person behind it.

"Hey, Henry!" Charlotte greeted cheerfully.

"Hey, Char," Henry replied albeit nervously. "What are you doing here?"

She tilted her head, raising an eyebrow at him. "Did you forget? It's Saturday, a.k.a, our movie/ice cream/ trip to the park/ visiting Ray day."

"Oh, right," Henry smacked himself. How could it have slipped his mind? It was their thing. It had always been.

"Aren't you gonna let me in?" Charlotte asked after a moment of him just standing there.

"Hm? Oh, yeah, sorry," Henry opened the door wider and then closed it as soon as she entered. He turned around but stopped abruptly when he realised Charlotte also halted, phone in her hand. He was glad her back was to him so she didn't see how he took a step back to create some distance. His heart tugged as he did.

"Jasper just texted," Charlotte informed, facing him but eyes still glued to her device. "He said there's a bucket convention close to his house and they're giving away free ones to those who got there first."

Henry gulped. "So it's just us two?"

Charlotte chuckled, tucking her phone into her back pocket. "You say that like it's the first time."

"Right, right," Henry muttered, looking down.

"Are you okay, Hen?" Charlotte asked, taking a step forward.

"Yeah," Henry responded, moving away and scratching the back of his neck. He looked back at her and made a move of searching for something on the couch so it wouldn't go noticed by her. "I was just thinking that maybe we should-uh, umm... reschedule, or something."

Charlotte crossed her arms over her chest. "Reschedule?"

"Yeah, I mean, it's not as fun without him," Henry walked to one end of the couch as Charlotte strode slowly closer.

"Really?" She raised an eyebrow. "Jasper barely comes to our weekend entertainment. He's here, like, once a month every year. I'm not surprised that he cancelled today."

"Yeah, but-"

"And we've never rescheduled. Wasn't it you who said that rescheduling is not an option?'

Shoot.

Henry gulped. He convinced himself that being alone with her started bothering him because of the dumb rule, refusing to believe anything else. He wasn't sure if could control himself and ended up breaking said rule.

They haven't even hugged since it was initiated and Henry was fighting that urge. With extreme difficulty.

"You're right," he relented with a sigh. "I'll get the food ready," he ran a hand through his hair, evidently messing his blonde locks as he made his way to the kitchen.