Side Character (Vanderwood X Reader)

Start from the beginning

Y/n: Then what about me?

Vanderwood: You..? No, you don't need me either, trust me

Y/n: Need or not, I want you to stay. So get the hell back here >:

Vanderwood: Woah, you're genuinely angry with me right now?

Y/n: Yes! Now come back! I'll go out searching for you myself if I have to

Vanderwood: Are you crazy? It's almost midnight, and you're in the middle of nowhere. You'll get lost!

Y/n: And you won't?

Vanderwood: I know how to track! And no matter how hard you try, stubbornness won't help you find your way if you get lost

Vanderwood: So don't be stupid, stay inside

Y/n: Are you coming back?

Vanderwood: No!

Y/n: Then I'm coming to find you!

Vanderwood: Damn it, stay put! You little gremlin...

Y/n: I'm on my way out >:

[Y/n has left the chat]

Vanderwood: Huh-?! Y/n, you-- >:

~~~~~~~

You'd been wandering through the woods for thirty minutes now. Using your phone's flashlight, you scanned the surrounding ground, looking for any sign of someone having passed through. But you couldn't find so much as a footprint.

Unbeknownst to you, Vanderwood had found you ten minutes ago and was tailing you silently. He'd planned on going to you as soon as he found you, but he decided not to. Watching you try to track him down was amusing to him, and adorable. But it also caused an unfamiliar twinge of pain in his heart.

He wondered why it was so hard to let you go. Of course, he knew his feelings were the cause. But he wondered why he had to feel them. Why did his heart have to crave you like this? It frustrated him, but it also made him happier than he'd been in a very long time.

Vanderwood watched you stomp your foot on the ground and growl in annoyance. He had to hold back his laugh. But his joy melted like ice in hot water when you turned and he was able to see your face. Although it was dark, Vanderwood could clearly see the tear on your cheeks reflecting moonlight.

"How could he just leave..?" Vanderwood heard you whimper. Suddenly, his heart felt as if it were being crumpled like paper. He'd never heard such a small voice leave your lips; you were usually assertive and confident in your speech.

Finally giving up, you turned around to follow your own footsteps back to the cabin. But as you stared at the ground, and as more tears welled in your eyes, you couldn't walk. Instead, you dropped to the ground and sat helplessly in the dirt. "Van, you asshole..." You muttered through quiet sobs.

"...I guess I kinda deserve that," you hear his voice suddenly ring through the quiet woods. Your head whipped around to see Vanderwood walking over to you. He knelt beside you and asked, "come on, what are you crying for? I'm not worth your precious tears."