𝐈𝐈𝐈 - What A Dreadful Start

Start from the beginning

"I thought it was tomorrow voltnight." He mouthed, his tone monotonous. He tugged at the strand of hair harder, trying to ignore his mother's words.

"You little demon. I know you're lying to me~" She started tickling him, aiming for his neck and armpits. "Come on, what are you hiding from me?" She giggled, her voice chirpy.

"M-Mom! I'm too old for —" He started to snicker, before erupting into joyous laughter. "Mom! Stop!" Julian clutched his mother's hands, squeezing them tight. "Mother please!"

"Alright, alright, I'll stop." She grinned mischievously. "But seriously. Get dressed. (Y/N) will be here anytime now."

Instantly, his smile faded into a frown.

"No."

Edinayol locked her eyes with her son's, his ginger eyes melancholic, and cloudy.

"Julian. Don't lie to me." She started to unravel the knots out of his hair, continuing to mumble. "You're not happy where you are. You don't want to be stuck here."

"I'm fine." He snapped, moving her hands away. "Besides, why do you even try? It's not as if this one's going to 'fix' me."

The mother grew silent, taking a deep breath. "I'd never said that I was fixing you —"

"Actions speak a lot more than words, Mom. You're tired of seeing me laze around, being useless, and being stuck in my cubby hole." Julian ranted, getting more irritated by the second. "Every single time, you always try to find some babysitter that's in debt so you don't have to watch me." He gradually got out of his bed, his beady eyes furrowing in anger.

"Just because I'm the youngest, you are always worrying about my ass!" He jabbed his mother's chest, projecting his anger more and more. He was like a bomb ready to explode. "Just because I'm some commoner's child, I'm being treated like Cerberus's shit."

"I'm tired of everything. I'm tired of your lies, your worries, all the pampering." He stood up, towering his mother. "Just leave me alone and let me die like the parasite I am to this family."

"Julian! You know I could care less about how Hell feels!" Edinayol raised her voice, slightly hurt by her son's words. She could see his dark, cloudy eyes reddening with pain and frustration. "I care about you. I care about all of us as a family."

"Yet you're allowing someone else to do your job?"

"Julian. You know I can't always be with you." Edinayol felt like she was sweating bullets. "Unlike your siblings, you have the freedom to travel, to learn, and most importantly — to love."

"Really, Mom? Is that all the excuses you can make?"

"Listen to me. I love you so much that it hurts me to see you suffer." Her voice was about to crack, her hands gradually balling into fists. "...and I know your father —"

"Don't you even think of saying his name." He roared, pointing straight at his mother. One of the chairs darted to the corner of the room, smashing into the wall and falling to pieces. Strands of smoke surrounded Julian, the stench metallic and acetous. His eyes hissed out freshly boiled tears, while his ginger irises became more animalistic and saturated with colour. In that moment, Julian was no longer her son, instead possessed by grief and agony, transformed into a livid, dejected monster.

Words could barely form from her lips. "Julian..."

"You mention him again and I'll..." Julian paused, rubbing his face. "....Fuck..."

He turned his back away from his mother, tugging more at his hair. His bright, cerulean eyes were threatening to spill tears. "...Just...leave me alone. I don't want to be around you right now."