Chapter 1

Everything glowed.

I stood by the rails as I took in bustling scene before me. Everything was bathed in gold. The tall Christmas tree twinkled brightly with specks of red. The champagne fountain casted soft rose gold reflection as the liquid slowly cascades down. Guests came in inundated in luxurious clothing, buffet tents line up and were overflowing with a feast, a live orchestra playing. It was illuminating. To say that it was grand would have been an understatement. It was scene straight out of Great Gastby. Everyone from the marketing staff was busy enjoying themselves; mingling and drinking as we celebrated the eve of Christmas at the pool deck of the Marina Bay Sands.

The cold tropical breeze blew steadily brining along with it that sense of comfort. My heart thumped once again remembering the text message I had gotten earlier.

"Thanks to you, I was able to finish the novel safely. Thank you. Merry Christmas."

Yumi.

Thumped. There it goes again -- that familiar staccato. A rhythm my heart seemed to make only for you.

Everything glowed.

But it was a far cry from how much you shine when you were in your element. That iridescent glow you cast when you concentrated on your writing. Your passion. I can only stare in awe.

Everything glowed.

Like the glow of the setting sun as it bathed the airport with streaks of yellow and gold. By sheer luck or fate as you liked to call it, I was privileged enough to be the one to put the glow back on your face.

"Yumi-ya." I called out.

My world stopped as you slowly turned to face me. Yeppeun. I was suddenly assaulted by the beauty and realness of you. It was like a scene from a movie. The longing returned.

I smiled.

"Oh. I thought you got on the plane"

"It was delayed. There was no announcement. I think it happened so I can see you before I go." Ah. Fate. My dear old friend.

You chuckled "really?"

"I'm glad that I could see you and say goodbye in person before I left."

"You saved me. My entire manuscript was in there. Thank you."

"When will you finish the book?"

"The end of the year? If all goes well, around Christmas."

"Oh. I see. Finish it well."

"I want to but I'm not skilled enough."

"You'll do well." Saying it with absolute resolve.

A pause.

"What about a boyfriend?" I asked. I just couldn't help myself. "Did you get a boyfriend?"

She blinked. Slightly taken aback. "No. I don't have the time to." She said cautiously.

"Really?" My heart swelled. I could feel the corners of my lips tugging.

"You?"

"Me?"

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

I nodded saying "I am seeing someone." Trying to keep calm as the waves of joy threatened in their wake to call out my bluff.

That look. A mix of shock, anger, and sadness. It faded quickly as it came. She schooled her expression and smiled. "I see. I hope it goes well" she said with a smile. The words dripped with sincerity, to my dismay.

I suddenly shaken as my phone vibrated inside my coat pocket.

"Babi-shi, where are you? Director Shin is about to give her speech." Manager Yeong said excitedly. "More drinks to come!!!" It was the first time in a long while where everybody was able have a semblance of normalcy. The past five months have been grueling. Singapore branch was a definite challenge. Their marketing team was a mess. As soon as he took over, he had to overhaul the whole department. He had to restructure the team and develop new strategies for keeping up with the competition. It turned out that the noodle competition in the country was steep. Top competitors were releasing new flavors on almost a monthly basis. They had to step up to keep the sales up. A lot of deadlines, late-night meetings and weekend plans cancelled. It was a welcome distraction for Babi. After their rendezvous at the airport, Babi couldn't easily shake off his constant longing for Yumi. Burying himself with worked helped him ease that.

"Good news. I'm having a tropical Christmas. Merry Christmas." He quickly sent her. In truth, as much as the warm breeze comforted him, he would rather be comforted by her arms in the dead of winter. Breathing in deep. He thought to himself "just a few more seconds to remember how it felt to hold her close."

Hana. Dul. Ses.

He breathed out slowly. Along with it the longing.

Everything glowed.

Like the last smile she gave him. The glow it left in his mind's eye (and heart) lingering. Trying to shake it off one last time, he smiled and walked back to the party.