BMW

I was used to every school day going the exact same way. My routine had begun to bore me. It seemed like nothing ever happened to me, but I always saw or heard something happening to other people. That's another reason why it freaked me out that there was a small rumor going around about me flirting with Steve. It was even weirder to think about the fact that not a single person talked about me when I started dating Ricky Matthews, who was quite popular himself. Of course no one was more popular than Steve though, so I guess that makes sense.

The school day had ended and I was heading towards the busses when I felt someone grabbing my arm and pulling me back. It was Ricky. "What's your deal?" I asked, yanking my arm out of his grip.

We were by the gym, and the hall had been cleared for basketball practice, so there were no other students around aside from the ones in the gym. "Heard you were talking with Steve Harrington after you dumped me." He said bitterly.

"Why do you care? You cheated on me, remember?" I spat. Ricky opened his mouth to say something else, but I quickly cut him off before he could even speak. "I know what everyone has been saying, and it's not true. But if it was, then you have no right to think less of me for doing whatever I want after dumping you. Are we done here?"

"No-"

"Well I am." I finished, taking a step away from him. Ricky takes my wrist in his hand tightly, and pulls me back again.

"Don't walk away when I'm talking to you." He said through gritted teeth.

I tried to break free from the hold he had on me, but the more I struggled, the tighter his grip got. "Y-you're hurting me.."

"The more you fight, the worse it'll get."

And he was right. I tried using other hand to try and push him away but he grabbed that hand as well. I didn't know what to do then. No one was around and I was too afraid to scream, I didn't know what Ricky was capable of. I finally gave up and stopped fighting. "What do you want from me?" I asked.

Just as Ricky was about to answer, the door to the gym opened and someone peeked their head out. "Reid?" Ricky quickly let go of me, and I snapped my head around. I'd never been so glad to see Steve in my life. "Are you still gonna help me with my English paper in the library?" He asked.

I played along, "Yeah, I was on my way there now.."

"Me too." Steve said.

I walked over to Steve and we made our way to the 'library'. I didn't even look back at Ricky, I was so glad to be rescued. Steve and I stopped walking once we were completely out of Ricky's eyeshot. "...thank you." I said, looking up to face him.

"No problem."

I looked him up and down. "You don't look like you're dressed for the library." I joked. He was still wearing his gym clothes.

He looked down at his outfit, "Yeah, I uh,  I was playing basketball." He chuckled.

I realized then that I haven't really looked him in the face this up close in a long time. I usually tried to avoid eye contact. "You're sweaty." I stated.

He furrowed his eyebrows with confusion. "That normally happens when I'm playing basketball." He said awkwardly.

"Shit, I definitely missed the bus." I said as my attempt to change the subject. I thought about calling my mom, but I didn't want to risk her not being home. I'd have to walk anyway, so I might as well start heading that way.

"You want a ride?" Steve asked.

"What is it with you and offering me rides?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Well, I always seem to catch you when you don't have one."

I rolled my eyes. He wasn't wrong. I graciously accepted his offer and we went out to the parking lot to get in his car, a maroon BMW. I slid into the passenger seat and put on the seatbelt. Steve twisted the key in the ignition to start the engine. "So uh, where do I go?" He asks.

It was a short drive to my house, I barely said anything the whole way aside from giving him directions. He parked in the drive way and I gathered my stuff. "You know, this is exactly the type of car I thought you'd have." I said.

"Really?"

"Yeah, a pretty rich boy like you would have a BMW."

He raised his eyebrows. "Pretty?"

I mentally cursed myself when I realized what I just said. "You know what I mean, King Steve." I teased. We sat in silence for a few seconds, I was thinking of what to say next. "Thanks again... for helping me get away from Ricky." I said rubbing my wrists which were still red from the abrasion.

Steve noticed, and looked down at them. "Did he do that to you?"

"No." I lied. I turned my head to see his face and noticed him scowling. "Okay fine, yes."

"Does he do that often?" He questioned. I shook my head. "Maybe you should stick around, I think your little ex boyfriend is scared of me."

I laughed, then it got serious again. "Since you did something nice for me, I guess it would only be fair to do the same for you in return. I'll help you with your college essay."

Steve smiled, "Thank you."

I pulled the door handle and stepped out of his car with my bag on my shoulder. Before closing the car door, I bent down a little bit to let him know to come over after school tomorrow. He nodded and drove off.