27

Even while he was on the other side of the world Alec was still giving Jace orders in order to help them with the custody battle. Alec had suggested that it might be a good idea for Jace to spend some time with Brandon and bond with him since the youngest Nichols sibling had even less memories of Jace.

Meanwhile Tory and Robby took advantage of someone watching Brandon and Shannon being away at work.

The couple were making out on Robby's bed and as things moved further Robby took off Tory's shirt. "Tor?" She giggled knowing what he'd spotted "Yes?"
"Did you get a tattoo?"
"Mm-hm."
"When? How?"
"At the beginning of last week with Jace. He knows a place. Do you like it?"
"Mm-hm." Robby nodded as he traced the black ink on her rib cage under her left breast gently.

" Robby nodded as he traced the black ink on her rib cage under her left breast gently

"What is it?"
"It's some kind of runic language. It's from some ancient group who developed a certain fighting style that Jace likes. He's covered in loads of them. This one means remembrance and mourning - I got it for my mom."
"That's really sweet, baby. I think she'd like that." Robby smiled before leaning up to kiss her again and continue their previous activities.

/ /

However, when Alec came back from being spun up he was less than impressed:

"You took your underage sister to an illegal tattoo parlour!?" He shouted.
"Yeah." Jace said not really seeing the problem.
"Jace! That's not good for a custody application. Okay, from now on, no illegal activity: no fight clubs, no tattoos, no alcohol, and drive properly and according to the law, using all safety measures." Alec turned to Tory "And you, keep that covered up until you turn 18 - no one can know that it's there - as long as nobody knows it'll be fine. So swimsuits only, no bikinis. And don't do anything illegal either, especially drugs because if they do a strip search and find that, then we're really screwed."
"Oh by the way, Robby knows, obviously."
Jace raised an eyebrow unimpressed and Alec repeated "Obviously."

"Are you guys sure this is going to work?" Tory asked wringing her hands nervously. The brothers shared a glance "Yeah, of course, the judge would have to be an idiot to give Mike Barnes or Kandace Nichols custody of a goldfish, let alone two children." Jace assured.
"I know. I'm just worried at what'll happen to Brandon more so than myself. I mean, even if I do end up with one of them it'll only be for a year."
"Yeah, but just remember if that does happen, once you turn 18 you can then challenge them for custody of Brandon and we'll help you with that."
"You do think of everything, don't you?" Tory asked Alec.
"Well, I did manage to think of a way to stop you from going to juvie after starting a school-wide brawl on the first day." He bragged.
"Wait, that was you??" Tory said shocked. She had always wondered how the cops found out about her situation as she had never brought it up.
"Nice one, Tor. That's like my level of bad." Jace praised holding his hand up for a high five.
"Okay, see, that... yeah, don't do that in court or when we're being assessed." Alec said in a disapproving tone.

They were interrupted by a knock at the front door. The three of them looked at each other and shook their heads not expecting anyone. Tory moved to open the door and was greeted by a man holding three thin A4 envelopes. "Victoria Hope Mia Nichols-Barnes?"
Tory was very taken aback at the use of her full name "Uh, y-yeah." However, Alec recognised what was happening and moved forward standing in the doorframe with her. "You've been served." The man noticed Alec standing beside her "You wouldn't happen to be Alexander Gideon Lightwood?"
"Yes, I am."
"You've been served. And is a Jonathan Christopher Herondale-Barnes here too?"
"Jace." Alec called.
"Yeah, what is it?"
"Subpoenas."
"Mr Herondale-Barnes-"
"It's just Herondale." Jace cut him off having legally dropped his father's surname once he turned 18
"You've been served." The man said handing Jace the large envelope before turning and leaving.

"What are they?" Tory questioned.
"Requests to be seen in court. I don't think that would be your aunt's style, so..." Alec opened his envelope "...Yeah, on behalf on Michael Barnes' legal team." He read.
"Why does he need a legal team? He's a lawyer."
"Sometimes representing yourself makes you look very cocky." Alec told her.
"So, do you two have lawyers? 'Cause I don't." Tory said.
"Yeah. Don't worry about it." Alec said. The Lightwoods were quite a rich, powerful family in New York and had their own lawyers from when they went through family court to adopt Jace 13 years ago.

"So I guess we're going to family court again." Jace said.