She winked at her and strutted back into the crowd, not before giving Kai a light pat on the shoulder on her way past. She was right, the crowd was slightly smaller than before.

"God," Kai sighed. "That was awful. I don't like awkward, it's my least favourite emotion so far."

Y/N laughed at her boyfriend; he still discovers himself experiencing new emotions all the time, and she finds it oh so endearing to see how he reacts to the foreign feeling. "Well if anyone was to catch us, I'm glad it was Caroline."

The tall boy looked at the girl he thought was an angel, although she didn't quite see herself that way. Sometimes that made him sad, another feeling he didn't particularly enjoy. "Let's just get out of here," He said, taking her hand and intertwining their fingers, something she always loved. "Bring the party back home, just you and me. We can pick up where we left off and no one will even notice we're gone."

Y/N grinned, happy that they were always on the same page. She took a step forward, watching as Kai's eyes lit up more and more the closer she got to him. Their sparkle seemed to be directly proportional to his distance from her. "You just read my mind."

It wasn't long until Kai was driving his silver car back to their shared apartment, one hand on her thigh as it always was. She was his comfort blanket no matter what, and physical touch was Kai's love language, so even when driving he craved some contact with her to keep himself sane.

Mostly sane anyway.

Eventually, they returned to the warmth of their apartment and wasted no time in latching onto each other. See, that was the thing about Y/N and Kai. She might be his comfort blanket, but he was hers too. When they're apart it feels like two separate parts of a magnet, aching to be able to touch, see, feel the other, so when that ache is satisfied, it's like a force unlike any other, and pulling them apart proves difficult as neither of them wants to ever be away from the other.

Their love for each other was obvious, you'd have to be blind not to see it. The only reason Y/N's friends tolerated Kai was because they couldn't deny the clear adoration and care he had for her. They'd tell her Y/N, he can't be trusted, he doesn't feel, he can't feel love, but when you witness a love like they have, how could you ignore it? They'd almost come to a silent truce: Kai stays out of trouble and never hurts Y/N, and they'd leave him be. It worked for them.

What they had said about him not feeling love was true though, before. Kai thought that love was a wasted feeling - relationships crash and burn everyday, he'd said once, so why would he let it waste his time if he can't one hundred percent confirm that it would be for life? Y/N came into his life like a wildfire spreading through dry forest, this new and unusual feeling coursing through him at an alarming pace, and it made him want to scream. He couldn't understand why he was unable to shake this one girl out of his head, it was distracting him and he couldn't concentrate, it was a nuisance.

But as time went on and he started wanting to make sure she was safe and happy, it became less and less of a burden to him. In fact, he started to revel in it. Any excuse he could find to see her, he'd take it. Any chance to protect her, he'd be there in an instant. He actually started to care, which baffled him at first because Kai Parker doesn't care. But as he looked at her then, wind blowing her hair around her face, he didn't mind it. Maybe caring wasn't so bad, if it was this one girl he cared about. He decided then that he would dedicate all his emotion to her, all his care, all his time, all his love.

Love. When Kai realised he was in love, he wasn't sure if he was awake or dreaming. Love was pointless, he told himself so. But he couldn't bring himself to lie to himself any longer. It may have been pointless to him back then, but not now. Now, his whole reason for living was to make this one girl happy, this one girl who had managed to change a man so set in his old toxic ways. He loved her.

Y/N wasn't sure if she'd ever definitely know that she was in love. I mean, how can you really know? Everyone's experiences with love are different, and all relationships vary, so there's not one set formula for it. Love is complex, and that was scary to her, because she didn't want to let someone in thinking they're her soulmate, and they end up breaking her heart. She'd made that mistake before, and she didn't want to let the wrong person get to her again. But with Kai, there wasn't a single question or doubt in her mind. This, this was what love was supposed to feel like. All that fear of allowing the wrong person into her heart had vanished in an instant, because she knew there would be no one else ever again now that she had Kai. He had taken up residence in her mind and there was no space for anyone else. He was her person, she knew, it was obvious. She loved him.

Back in the apartment with the two of them getting lost in each other, those intense feelings resurfaced. In that moment, it was just the two of them: no problems, no death, no prison worlds. Only the crystal clear love they had for each other that everyone could see. It even got them a bit of a reputation in the local supernatural community as the couple that defeated all odds.

The sociopath who learned to fall in love, and the witch that taught him how.