Soulmate Requirement || Peter Parker

Start from the beginning

"...Bug?" Blinking out of your thoughts, you hum at Peter's soft whisper which never fails to send chills down your spine," can you pass that, please?"

Nodding, you do just that, handing him the tool before propping your elbow on the table, careful not to knock anything over or touch anything you shouldn't.

"What's on your mind?" He can read you like an open book, his eyebrow raised innocently as he adjusts something while catching a glance at you in the corner of his eye.

"Nothing, 'just tired."

Peter presses his lips, having heard that excuse far too often to ever believe it. It's the same thing you say every time something's upsetting you yet you don't want to be a bother by discussing it. Of course, you could never be a bother to him even if you tried.

Finishing whatever he had been fixing, Peter turns on the stool, taking both of your gloved hands in his while squeezing gently,"...what's wrong?"

Staring down, you'd rather memorize the shade of blue the gloves are in than look into his eyes, fearing you might cry if you do. It truly has been a long, tiring day so your emotions are far too drained to be considered completely stable, but crying in front of four strangers is not something that'll make things better right now.

"You know MJ, right- the one from our universe?" He hums which signals for you to continue asking a question that sounds so stupid now that you're saying it aloud," do you...love her at all?"

"Do I love her?" Peter's lip twitches again as he snorts, trying to look into your eyes, although he fails when you turn your head the other way stubbornly," sweetheart, I only love you."

"I-I know that, and you say that now, but like..."

"Like...?"

"What if one day you meet her at the library again, but you end up seeing her in a different light, you know? O-Or maybe she laughs a certain way that makes your heart jump and you realize you love her laugh? Or-?"

"-Or she asks me on a date?"

"Yeah..."

Peter lifts his hand, but reminding himself that he's been handling chemicals, he refrains from touching your cheek despite how much he longs to," well, first of all, I don't think MJ would ever do that because she knows I'm a taken man and she respects you...But hypothetically, if MJ were to ask me on a date, I'd probably...

"...Look at her like she's crazy," he kisses your forehead and you close your eyes.

"Let her down easy because she takes better notes than me in class and that's a big reason for why I study with her," he kisses your nose next.

"I'd pick up some take out from that Chinese restaurant you really like on the way home," an extra long kiss to your cheek.

"Then I'd spend the night cuddling and watching movies with you," yet another longing kiss to your other cheek.

"And I'd kiss you like this-" his lips make it to yours finally, fitting like a perfect puzzle piece and remaining there for a good few seconds that feel like hours,"-all night long...because you're the only girl for me; the only girl I've ever loved- unless you count Aunt May, of course."

You sigh with content while resting your forehead against his and giving his hands a squeeze,"...but don't you realize, every other Peter is with an MJ."

"So what?"

"So...what if MJ is supposed to be Peter Parker's soulmate? What if you're not meant to be with me?" You open your eyes, finally meeting his honey ones to notice he's been staring at you the entire time.

"Is that why you're worried over this?" You nod, feeling pathetic. You know deep down Peter loves you, you know he'd leave you for MJ or anyone else, but after learning the multiverse is real and seeing the similar lifestyles of each Peter Parker, you're beginning to question how much of his life is set in stone.

"Bug, I don't care if I'm the only Peter Parker in the entire multiverse who loves you. It's not going to change how I feel. As far as I'm concerned, you're my soulmate; mine, not just any version of Peter Parker's," he pecks your lips before snuggling his face against your neck, whispering lowly for only you to hear," besides, you act like I got it wrong, but how do we know they don't? What if you're meant to be every Peter Parker's soulmate and they just haven't seen you in the light of a library window yet? Or heard your beautiful laugh that makes their hearts drunk with love?"

"...Maybe they don't even have versions of me in their universes."

"Exactly. Which makes me the luckiest Peter of all," he chuckles, taking his time to lean back as he'd much rather spend the rest of the night cuddling with you than deal with all this multiverse stuff. Then again, the second you both get back to your rightful home, that's probably exactly how you'll be spending the next week at least," I love you, bug. Only ever you."

"And I love you, too, Pete. Only ever you."

"This is adorable and all, but it's getting a little awkward to watch."

"Yeah, right, sorry, Peter 2."

"We're sorry."