002

𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟗 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟒ɴᴇᴡ ɢɪʀʟ

𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟗 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟒
ɴᴇᴡ ɢɪʀʟ

𝐁𝐈𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐘 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍, Juliette sat in silence in the back of the classroom, the end of her pencil in between her teeth as she listened to Mr. Clarke teach.

"Meet the human brain."

Mr. Clarke set down a plastic brain replica. "I know. I know, it doesn't look like much. A little gross even, right? But consider this. There are a hundred billion cells inside of this miracle of evolution. All working as one."

Juliette glanced over at the students around her who were passing notes, not listening in on the lesson. Whereas the party was wide eyed, ears perked up as they listened to each and every detail said, "No, no, I did not misspeak. I did not stutter. A hundred billion."

The brunette's attention moved towards the door as it opened. "Ah, this must be our new student." Mr. Clarke voiced as a red headed girl walked in, the principal leaving once the new girl was left to learn.

Before the red headed girl could walk to the empty chair, that was conveniently placed behind Juliette, Mr. Clarke stopped her. "All right. Hold on. You don't get away that easy. Come on up. Don't be shy."

"Dustin, drum roll."

The Henderson boy tapped his hands against his school book, Juliette wincing slightly at the sudden tap. "Class, please welcome, all the way from sunny California, the latest passenger to join us on our curiosity voyage, Maxine"

"It's Max."

"Sorry?"

"Nobody calls me Maxine. It's Max."

The four party members whispered something to each other that Juliette couldn't quite hear but remembered the game from last night. Mad Max. "Well, all aboard, Max."

The girl, Max, walked to the back of the classroom, sliding into the empty seat. Juliette noticed the four boys turn around quickly in there chairs to face Max. The brunette girl shot them a look and the four instantly look to the front. Juliette turned back to the girl behind her and sent her a smile.

"I'm Juliette." Her smile, warm. "Max, but you know that." The red head nodded in greeting. Juliette grabbed something from her bag, passing it behind to the new girl.

"Here." Passing a pencil to Max, she turned back to the class. "Thanks." She heard the new girl mutter under her breath. A smile on her lips but it soon dropped when she saw her friends looking back to Max once more. The girl rolled her eyes before tilting her head at them, the four wide eyed and turned back to teacher, sinking into there seats.