Prologue

Bare feet splash through a forming puddle in the paved road. The small patter of rain grew heavier as the storm picked up pace. The water ripples in the puddle quickly are replaced by the assaulting rain drops.  It was dark and hard to see. The only light, was that of dim street lamps and the occasional angry lighting crack across the sky.

There was a woman, running barefoot in tattered clothes covered with a dark cloak. She ran gingerly as she cradled something in her arms under the soaking wet fabric, trying to keep it dry.

With each step she took, left a dark crimson stain that was soon washed away by the rain. The bottoms of her bare feet littered with blisters and cuts from a long journey. The rain fell against the crimson marks, washing away any evidence that she was there. Her breaths came as a cloud in front of her as she trudged forward unable to stop until she knew it was safe.

Soon the sounds of heavy footsteps overpowered the sound of the rain down the paved road. A large group of hooded figures followed in pursuit of the worn down woman.

(They're catching up, oh Gods. I have to steer them away.) The woman thought to herself worriedly and exhausted.

Looking ahead she turned sharply down a culdesac. She rushed up to the farthest house in the circle and approached the porch.

Uncovering her cloak she revealed a swaddled infant, wrapped and cozy inside their blanket oblivious to their surroundings. Only knowing they were held safely in their mother's arms.

Hesitating she looked at the door then to the sleeping child in her shaking arms. Leaning in she gave the infant a gentle kiss on the forehead and set it down behind a potted plant to hide her, and rang the doorbell a few times before running off of the porch and into the trees behind the gaggle of houses.

As the heavy stepped group of people got closer they heard the footsteps of the woman take off through the yard and followed after her. The woman and the group of followers disappearing into the stormy night.

Once they were gone the woman who owned the house, went to answer the door. She opened the door as she was wrapping a robe around her. Glancing around she saw no one and was about to shut the door when the soft coo of a child was heard from the porch. Opening the door the woman stepped out and gasped softly to herself when she saw the swaddled baby looking up at her with their wide green eyes hiding from behind her potted plant.

She rushed forward quickly, picking up the child and inspecting it for any injuries. Finding none she gently rocked it back and forth in her arms she looked around into the night for any sign of the child's mother, but all that was left was the stain of her bloody feet on the wooden steps of the porch.

[Edited]