Chapter 11: Secret In The Oysters

Start from the beginning

Before she could say anything, Trey made a sound like a cough.

Then he snickered.

Then he burst into a full-fledged fit of laughter, pounding his fist against the counter as his shoulders shook.

"Pfft-- AHAHAHA! C'mon, guys, I was obviously lying!" He choked, straightening up a little bit and wiping some tears of mirth from his eye. "I mean, you'd have to be a total insane person to put oyster sauce in sweets, right?!"

Ah.
Called it.

Ace spluttered.
"WHAT?! S-So YOU were just messin' with us, too?!"

Trey snorted with laughter again.
"Hahaha-- I mean, if you'd just thought about it a little more, you'd have figured out how ridiculous it was!"

Crossing his arms, he gave Ace and Deuce a playfully stern look.
"Let this be a lesson to you two, okay? Don't believe everything you hear. And be sure to think things over carefully for yourselves, you got that?"

Kat snorted, putting her fist to her mouth and turning her head.

In her arms, Grim scoffed, folding his front legs.
"Huh. An' here I thought we'd finally found a nice guy at this school... How can he lie so easily with such a friendly look on his face?"

"Aw, come on," Kat grinned, stroking his head a little. "It wasn't anything mean... Honestly, that was some peak dad joke energy, I like it!"

Trey grinned at her.
"Thanks, Prefect!"
He nodded towards a drawer.
"Clean spoons are in there-- have 'em ready, okay? But remember, only one small spoonful per person."

"YEAH!" Grim cheered, jumping out of Kat's arms and skittering over to the drawer indicated. "Chestnut heaven, here I come!"

"Grim, it's only a sampling," she laughed, following him.
"Here, I'll get your spoon for you, okay?"
She opened the drawer, taking two spoons for herself and Grim.
Grabbing two more, she held them out for Ace and Deuce, who were coming over.

"Thanks, Kat!" Ace smiled, taking his spoon and twirling it in his fingers like Cater with his pen.
"Thanks," Deuce agreed, nodding as he took his.

"No problem," she replied, strolling over to Trey and putting hers and Grim's spoons down on the counter.
"Do you want one too, Trey? I mean, you are the one making it..."

Trey shrugged.
"Nah, I'm fine," he replied, unwrapping the stick of butter and taking off a large chunk with the spatula. "It won't be a minute, okay? Then you guys can add the butter to your own portions."

"Yep," she agreed, nodding and propping her elbows on the counter, watching him fold in the butter.
Grim clambered up her back, laying over her shoulder and watching as well, licking his lips.

Kat smirked, reaching over and lightly booping him on the snoot.

"HEY!" He complained, shaking his head. "What was that for?!"

She snorted quietly, grinning.
"Sorry, sorry... Couldn't resist."

Trey tapped the spatula on the rim of the bowl, smiling.
"Okay, the butter's done... Got your spoons ready?"

"Yes, sir," she chirped, giving a two-fingered salute and picking up the spoons.
Trey gave her the go-ahead nod, and she scooped up a small portion of puree, holding it out to Grim.

"Wow, THANKS!" He enthused, taking it eagerly and licking his whiskers.
"Smells great... Mmm!"
With that, he shoved the spoon in his mouth, making loud sounds of delight.