Chapter Twelve Anticipation

Chapter Eleven: Anticipation

Beth glanced again at the silver dangling watch hanging from her wrist. It was past six-thirty and there was still no sign of Evan. The clicking sound of her heals echoed across the marble tile of the foyer in Joshua and Mary’s home as she nervously paced back and forth.

Tonight marked the first official date she’d had with Evan.

The day at the beach didn’t count because it was orchestrated by Joshua, and Vegas was a one night stand that had went very, very wrong, but turned out to be very nice. Or at least in her mind anyway.  

Although she was certain she had fallen in love for real this time, she wasn’t clear where Evan’s heart was at this point. She had thought at the very least he had desired her, but after last night, she wasn’t sure that was even a possibility anymore.

Letting out a deep sigh, she turned and started for the great room just to the right of the entrance area.

But the sound of footsteps descending the staircase made her freeze. She looked around to the top of the stairs where she saw Evan. But he hadn’t noticed her yet because he was too busy adjusting the cuff of his shirt with what looked to be a sterling silver cufflink.

 Her heart leapt.

Gorgeous … Sexy … Stunning …

These were the only words that came to mind as she stared at his handsome face, all fresh and clean shaven.

The white, crisp shirt coupled with the slender gray silk tie looked breathtaking against the black suit he wore. Ooohhh… eeewww, she groaned inward. Why did he have to look so dang irresistible tonight of all nights, tonight when everything would only be business related, as he had made clear earlier.

   Then suddenly, as if he felt her watching him, he looked up. He stopped. The hyoid muscle in his throat bobbed up and down as his eyes swept her form in the ice-blue cocktail dress she wore.

Her lips gave an involuntary quiver as his eyes moved down her tanned legs to the dainty, silver sandals on her feet.

Finally after what seemed an eternity, he blinked.

“You look amazing,” his words came out in a hoarse whisper, “and very beautiful tonight.”  

“I… thank you,” she managed. “You look very handsome yourself.”

Beth watched in awe when he descended the final few steps of the stairs, walking across the foyer like a man with instilled confidence, only to stop inches from where she stood now frozen to the spot.

His gaze dropped from hers to the high shine on her lips, and for a breathless minute, she thought he might lean in and kiss her.

But the sound of others entering the foyer quashed the moment. She tore her eyes away just in time to see Mary and Joshua, followed byChester, carrying luggage in both hands, heading their way.

“You two look like you’re going to a ball,” Joshua said, beaming a smile from ear-to-ear.

“Hardly, Dad, I’m taking Beth to dinner.” Then looking back at Beth, Evan smiled with what appeared to be appreciation. “Doesn’t she look pretty tonight?”

Then before giving Joshua time to answer Evan looked back to father and asked, “Where are you and Mother off to?”

“We’re flying toSan Franciscofor the weekend. I promised we would get away a month ago, and now she’s holding me to it, son”

Joshua walked over to Beth and planted a gentle kiss on her cheek. “Don’t worry about a thing. Evan’s here and he won’t let anything happen to you while we’re gone.”

Then placing an arm around Evan’s shoulder Joshua led him away saying he wanted to know about any new developments on Amy Trammel’s case.

Beth strained to hear Evan’s response, but they had already moved out of hearing distance.

That is a stunning dress, Beth. I love this color on you,” she heard Mary saying. Drawing her attention away from the two men locked in conversation, Beth murmured a weak thank you.

“It makes your eyes sparkle and your skin look radiant,” Mary continued, “But I have a feeling it’s not only the dress making you look this way. I imagine my son has something to do with your glowing appearance.”

Warm color rushed her face. Was how she felt about Evan that apparent to everyone? First Melissa and now Evan’s mom, surely she wasn’t that transparent to Evan?

 She hated lying to Mary, but she couldn’t very well tell her the truth.

 “Oh no, you have the wrong impression about Evan and me. We’re only going to dinner to discuss the case. I’m sure Evan will keep me preoccupied with deposition strategies.”

“Of course you two are friends,” Mary said, but Beth could tell she wasn’t buying her prompt denial. “You need to enjoy yourself tonight and not talk about business. A night on the town will do you both good. And Beth, be good to Evan. I’ve never seen him look more relaxed than when he’s with you.”

Thankfully the awkward conversation came to a close when Joshua and Evan returned. Another second of Mary’s intense scrutiny and she would have cracked for sure.

“We’d better go, dear, and not hold the plane.” Joshua placed his arm about Mary’s shoulder, guiding her toward the door as they both said their goodbyes.

Beth couldn’t help but marvel at how in love the two looked after all these years. Beneath dark lashes, she sneaked a peek in Evan’s direction and had to wonder if he would ever love a woman like his dad did his mom. Forever… 

***