"This is not a trial, and I am not a judge. This arbitration will address Mr. Buckley's claim against the Los Angeles Fire Department for wrongful termination."

Josephine listened once settled besides the fire department's lawyer present. Her hands were clasped on the table sitting with the perfect posture. Those brown orbs of hers sent daggers straight across Buck dressed in a suit forming a hesitant expression. His face seemed to have faltered in the previous hearings to confront the people he called family be ravaged by his attorney about their personal lives. Inside, he wasn't prepared to see the damage that'll become of their friendship after this.

The hearing commenced giving Chase Mackey, Buck's attorney the signal to build up his claims such as the unequal treatment in the 118 firehouse. Amusement enveloped in Josephine at the sight of Buck's chosen attorney for this lawsuit being the "ambulance chaser" from a mishap in a recent fire drill. It was no surprise that the man eager to pursue a lawsuit against the city due to that unfortunate staircase incident would use Buck to strengthen his case. His persuasion couldn't be easier enough after Bobby told Buck that he was the person blocking his clearance to return.

"So, it's fair to say Captain Nash followed a pattern of allowing firefighters with serious injuries back after less than a month." Chase argued after pointing out examples such as Chimney's rebar accident.

Josephine stared at him blankly, "I am not qualified to speak on behalf of Buck's medical status. But I will say I understand Captain Nash's perspective considering he oversees the many lives in the 118. He needs them to be at a 100%. I guess, he doesn't feel Buck is there at this moment to be brought back on the field."

"And you were injured in that explosion that night too, am I right?"

"The difference between my injuries with Buck is that I wasn't pinned down by a fire truck. My injuries were minor which explains my quick recovery and ability to get back on the job." She thoroughly explained.

She kept her chin up and appeared unbothered by the man's jabs. When her eyes loomed over to Buck, who could barely sustain eye contact. They sat in this very room because of him yet he looked like the one being cornered in this hearing.

Chase steadied his gaze on her for a short moment, taking a glimpse at his notes. "So, you're claiming a miscarriage was a minor injury as well?" His question echoed into the room caused Josephine's heart to drop. Her jaw clenched and hands clasped tighter, feeling a huge lump in her throat stuck. Meanwhile, guilt spread immensely on Buck's face seeing her try her hardest to not showcase any reaction.

"Because that feels it would weigh on someone like you a lot. Were you ready, Firefighter Santiago, to return to work after losing your baby?"

"I wasn't aware that I was pregnant until the doctor informed me nor was it a planned pregnancy." Josephine truthfully told. "Unfortunate as it was to hear, this job comes with sacrifices and losses. This loss wouldn't affect my return to work." She emphasized strongly as she met Buck's remorseful look.

He hummed, "But it would bring concern to your Captain. Did he not suggest for you to see a counselor? Or was he not aware in further detail of this minor injury per say your miscarriage?" He rebuttal Josephine's words back to her face and he wasn't done. "And you understand Captain Nash who oversees the several groups of firefighters in the 118 need them to be transparent and at a 100%?"

Through the rest of the hearing carried out the narrative about Bobby an incompetent Fire Captain. Moreso, his suspension to pointing out his chronic medical condition which was alcoholism. Chase had brought up the relapse that occurred a year and a half ago. Josephine could never forget that day, that moment she saw her Fire Captain feeling vulnerable and helpless.