Learning To Drive

Start from the beginning

"Remember all that and we'll be at the Byers' place in no time."

"Okay." Robin is riddled with nerves.

"Turn right at the end of the road - I'll be your talking map."

This journey gets off to a rough start as Robin almost immediately stalls the car. She then proceeds to drive like a grandma - it's a good thing Joyce doesn't have plans. In a panic, she forgets her left from her right and takes a few wrong turns. Despite this, Steve is patient with her - though inside he's dying. Eventually, they make it and Joyce is sitting outside waiting for them.

"There you are! How was it?" She asks enthusiastically.

"Have you been out here this whole time?" Robin deflects.

"Yeah, I wanted to make sure I was outside when you got here."

"Oh, I'm sorry I made you wait so long." She feels terrible for taking as long as she did.

"Don't be, sweetheart. It's your first day. You'll get the hang of it. Practice makes perfect." Robin gives her a small smile of appreciation.

"Don't worry, you've got Nance next time." Steve informs her.

"Come in. I'll whip you up some lunch." Joyce ushers them in. It's 2pm but that isn't gonna stop her.

Cut to Nancy's first lesson

Nancy expected too much too soon from Robin. Perhaps she had too much faith in Steve's teaching. Maybe she's just too much of a perfectionist. Nancy may not realise it, but her large amount of huge sighs only make Robin feel worse.

"Go right." She panics and turns left. "Right! I said right!" Nancy screams.

"I'm sorry!"

Throughout the rest of the 'lesson' things don't get much better. The more on edge Robin gets, the more Nancy loses patience. A couple times she leans over and grabs the wheel to redirect them. When they finally get to the Byers house, Joyce can immediately see how drained Robin is.

"Let's just hope things go better with Eddie."

Cut to Eddie's first lesson

"What are they doing here?"

"Sorry, I'm helping them with new characters and I said I'd take them this morning."

"Think of us as moral support." Dustin reasons.

"I didn't agree to this. I came for D&D." Erica contradicts.

Without much choice, Robin gets in the drivers seat as the kids climb in the back. The lesson starts out surprisingly well with indistinct chatter in the back and Eddie taking care with his job. With Eddie having taught her guitar a couple of times, he believes he has some sort of advantage over the others. However, his brain stops working for a moment as he starts playing music.

'Uh, Eddie, can you turn that off? It's kinda distracting."

"Oh, right, sorry." He apologises and swiftly turns it off.

This is the best Robin has done so far. That doesn't stop her from being terrified. Just a moment later Eddie's focus shifts as he starts talking D&D with the others. She decides to speed up but regrets it when the kids start shouting for her to go to different places in different directions. Suddenly, she starts making wrong turns and almost hits a couple of trees.

"Just do what you have been doing." Eddie speaks up trying to get her back on track.

"Can we stop off at my place? I forgot something?" Dustin is loud.