Babysitters' Fight Club (Pt. 2)

Steve Harrington x Reader (she/her)

Word Count: 2.1k
Warnings: minor child abuse as depicted in the show (billy being a dick), language, short scene of strangulation, mention of injuries/blood
Note: follows outline of s2 plot, creative liberties have been taken

Originally posted at https://thisismynerdyself.tumblr.com/post/688533324877168640/babysitters-fight-club-pt-2

*****
Benchwarmers. That's what this felt like. While Steve was aching for action, itching to be out doing something, anything, Y/N was in her element, keeping the younger kids safe - or as safe as anyone could be right now.
But to those kids, this was torture. This was sitting by and waiting for one of two things: great success or potentially world-ending failure.
The kids had an idea of their own, but how could Y/N and Steve call themselves babysitters if they let their charges go traipsing around town in deliberate search of trouble?
No matter how helpful their plan might be, was it worth the danger they would be seeking out? They wanted to deliberately attract the hoards of monsters to themselves to keep them from El and Hop in the Hawkins lab, but there was no sure-fire way to keep them safe.
Meanwhile, all was quiet in the Byers home, where those who were told to "stay here and wait" were painfully doing just that.
All was quiet until they heard the unmistakable sound of tires on gravel, wheels maneuvering down the winding driveway, headlights beaming through the front windows of the home.
Max shot to her feet as recognition dawned. "Billy."
Y/N had seen Billy's rage before, when she probably wasn't supposed to. But there was no way in hell she would let him hurt Max, or any of the kids for that matter.
Steve stood outside waiting for Billy to emerge from his car, but the confrontation did not go as anticipated. As soon as Steve was shoved roughly to the ground and Billy made his move toward the front door, Y/N wasted no time in standing her ground. The kids backed away from the door while Y/N did the opposite.
Billy threw the door open and a sickening smile spread over his face. "Ahhh, Y/L/N. What a nice surprise this is. So you're in on Harrington's sick little secret, here?" He clicked his tongue almost in disappointment.
"Why are you here, Billy?" Y/N wouldn't be intimidated by his manipulative speech.
As if unfazed by her interjection, his gaze shifts, his head tilts until he's looking at his sister, but then his attention is grasped by another. "Lucas Sinclair. Max, I thought I told you to stay away from this one. Looks like I'll have to keep him away myself."
In the blink of an eye, Billy surged across the room, seized Lucas by the collar of his shirt and pinned him against the wall. Shouts of protest filled the room. Bravery warred with the terror that Lucas felt as he helplessly dangled inches above the floor.
Y/N's hands had just grazed Billy's arm as he passed her in her attempt to stop him. But she wasted no time in gripping her hands tightly into his hair and yanking him backward, stumbling away from Lucas as he was dropped to the ground.
Max, Mike, and Dustin raced to Lucas's side and helped him to his feet where he began to regain his breath.
Y/N stood poised for action while Billy fumbled for his own footing. His sinister laughter sent a chill down Y/N's spine. "Oh, Y/L/N, you shouldn't get involved in other people's affairs." His voice rose in volume with each word.
"Oh well then I guess you shouldn't be putting your hands on children. Family or not."
Billy's eyes cleared and focused on Y/N. "I guess I'll leave the children alone then." Then he leapt forward and pinned Y/N to the wall behind her. She gasped in surprise, although a moment's thought would have warned her this would happen. Stupid. She kicked and clawed while his hands dug into her neck. Seemingly his favorite attack. Y/N couldn't say the same.
Her breath was stolen, red and black swam in her eyes from the intense pressure.
With one burst of energy, a kick landed on its target but only offered a moment's reprieve. Then just as thumbs dug deeper, the pressure suddenly released altogether. Strong hands gripped Billy's shoulders, pulling him backward until he was tossed to the ground. Steve breathed heavily for a moment before leaning down to grip the Hargrove boy by the collar with one hand while the other delivered blow after blow. But Billy would not take it without a fight and soon he was locked with Steve, the two matching pace and intensity in their hand-to-hand, fist-to-face fight. Rolling and tossing from side to side.
Y/N, seeing only a brief opportunity, though struggling to find her breath, pulled herself to uneasy knees and even shakier feet, half stumbling toward where the younger kids gathered in a nearby doorway, shouting their support toward first Y/N and now Steve.
Mike stood closest, eyes wide when he spotted Y/N coming toward them. He hurried to help her over, Dustin supporting her other arm. Y/N shuffled the kids further from the fight taking up the entirety of the room, practically pushing them to propel them out of the way. With the soreness of her throat, she had no voice with which to command them, but her dagger eyes were enough to convince them.
Billy was taking control, each blow landing harder and more painfully into Steve's gut, his face, anywhere he could land. Y/N threw herself onto Billy's back, yanking him backward. Steve was beyond recovery, but Y/N still had fight left. Instead, however, Billy used the momentum to slam her against the wall, the impact stealing what remaining air she had left. When he dropped back to the ground over Steve's barely moving body to finish what he started, the unthinkable happened.
Y/N, through clouded vision, saw Max sink the needle into her brothers neck, plunging the loaded syringe deeper. Y/N could barely make out the threat Max delivered, but the fear in Billy's nearly-blacked out eyes was clear as day.
Pain and pride resonated equally as darkness descended over both Y/N and Steve.