Genesis 29:1

Da machte sich Jakob auf den Weg und ging in das Land der Söhne des Ostens

Gestärkt von der Begegnung mit Gott, gestärkt von der Verheißung und von der Sicherheit seiner Rückkehr, geht er seinen Weg weiter Richtung Osten. Hin zu seiner Verwandtschaft, zu einer möglichen zukünftigen Frau und zu einer besseren und sicheren Zukunft bis sich Esau beruhigt und er zurückkann. Der Weg den er hier vor sich hat sind ungefähr 650 Kilometer. Das ist genug Zeit um Nachzudenken. 

Wir werden viele Parallelen sehen zwischen Jakob und den Knecht Abrahams, der eine Frau für Isaak suchte. 

With a new and abiding faith in the divine promises, and assured of the presence and guardianship of heavenly angels, Jacob pursued his journey to "the land of the children of the East." Genesis 29:1, margin. But how different his arrival from that of Abraham's messenger nearly a hundred years before! The servant had come with a train of attendants riding upon camels, and with rich gifts of gold and silver; the son was a lonely, footsore traveler, with no possession save his staff.

Ellen Gould White, The Story of Patriarchs and Prophets as Illustrated in the Lives of Holy Men of Old, Bd. 1 of Conflict of the Ages Series (Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1890), 188.

Here the geographical direction "eastern" is probably meant to convey a double meaning, as the word "east" (qedem) does elsewhere in Genesis (cf. 2:8; 3:24; 4:14; 11:2), especially 25:6 ..., which reports on Abraham's rejected children ... The Nahor clan left behind in Paddan Aram was not the favored branch of the Terah family (11:31–12:3).

K. A. Mathews, Genesis 11:27–50:26, Bd. 1B of The New American Commentary (Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2005), 461.