The Upside Down: Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

"Someone needs to work on her distraction skills," I mocked as Jonathan sped to the Byers' house.

"I thought you two were done," she defended. "Plus, it sounded like Flo was getting annoyed with me, so I had to wrap it up."

"We needed just ten more seconds."

"No, you didn't. You two got out just fine."

"She is right about that," Jonathan agreed.

"How much longer until we're at your house?" I asked, changing the subject.

"I can make it in five."

"Perfect."

Luckily, no one was out driving Hawkins' roads, letting us do practically whatever we wanted. We made it to the Byers' fairly quickly, and were already setting up everything.

We all worked together to get as many Christmas lights hooked up as we could, hoping it would alert us if the monster decided to make an appearance. When that was done, we split up and worked on separate projects. I grabbed a few knives from the kitchen and put them in easy access places. Nancy situated a few chairs around before watching Jonathan with the bear trap. I crouched down beside her.

Jonathan finished nailing the trap to the ground, giving us a nod. Nancy went off to set up an alarm while I grabbed the gasoline cans. I dumped gasoline all the way down the hallway, making sure to especially douse the bear trap. With the extra gas, I created a little path into the living room, just in case we had to light it up from there.

"Woah there," I joked, noticing what Jonathan was doing. "You could take out an eye with that."

He picked up the studded-bat and lightly swung it around. "That's kinda the point."

I laughed, taking the bat from him and swinging it around. It was heavier than a normal bat, but lighter than I thought it'd be. I put it back in his hands when I noticed Nancy.

"Do you really think a gun will work?" I asked, keeping my voice low.

"It better," she stated, loading in the last bullet before tucking it into her waistline. "We'll see how long Jonathan's bat will last."

"Hey, could you guys come help?" Jonathan called, no longer in the living room. We followed his voice to the hallway where he was finishing the bear trap. Nancy grabbed the other end and the two pulled. I placed the clip in the middle, taking careful precaution to not harm myself. We all stepped away, admiring our work.

"Are we ready?" Nancy whispered, glancing at each of us.

"Definitely. That Demogorgon is gonna have one hell of a time trying to get in here," I chuckled, patting Jonathan on the back.

"I agree," Jonathan stated. "Let's do this."

As Jonathan went to the kitchen, Nancy and I stayed behind in the living room. My weight shifted from foot to foot as anxiety started to build up.

"There's gonna be a lot of blood for this stupid thing," I joked, trying to take my mind off the situation.

"Listen, Y/n, if it's stressing you out that much, you don't have to do it," Nancy assured, giving my hand a quick squeeze.

"No, Nancy, I'm being involved," I stated.

Jonathan came back with three sharp, sharp knives. He handed each of us one, keeping his down near his side. The wooden handle felt foreign to me, like I'd never held a knife before.

"Remember-" Jonathan started.

"Straight into Will's room," Nancy interrupted. "And-"

"Don't step on the trap."