《 swollen lips 》

"Have you looked in the mirror today?"

Perplexed, I glanced up at Jameson. Usually it scared me when he crept into the kitchen this early in the morning, but I'd grown used to it. On the plus side, my stance leaning against the counter made noticing him before me easy.

"Why?" My eyebrows were too high on my forehead for comfort.

"Your lips are swollen." Grinning, the Hawthorne boy swept in to sling his arms around my waist. He tried not to kiss me but ultimately failed.

I nudged my glass of water onto the counter. "I didn't need a mirror to know that."

It had been the first thing I'd noticed this morning.

And honestly, it was rather hard to ignore such tender, sensitive lips when I was trying to eat my breakfast.

"I'm happy to take the blame for it," Jameson offered.

"Exactly why I plan to spend the whole day in my bedroom."

"With me, I presume?"

I sighed.

Sometimes living in the same house with him was miserable. Because as much as I liked Jameson, he was insufferable. Arrogant, cocky, and all too easy to fall for.

"I'll take that as a yes." Jameson leaned forward, his hands funding my hips, and tried for a kiss.

I pushed him back. "No. Not there."

Smirking wickedly, Jameson left a kiss on my neck just above my collarbone. "How about here?"

I had to remind myself to breathe. I definitely set myself up for that one.

"Jameson," I mumbled. "I seriously have so much to do today —"

"I'm one of those things," he decided.

"You're funny."

He smirked, pressing his back against the counter. "You're right, heiress — I am funny. But that wasn't a joke."

"Make it one, then." I pushed against his rock solid chest and tried to escape his arms. But he was too strong for me.

Jameson laughed at my attempts. "Come on. You really think I'm going to let you go?"

"Yes. I don't know how yet, but I'll figure it out."

I wriggled free of one arm, but the next swooped around my waist and yanked me against his chest.

"I might let you go," he said, "if you promise to meet me later."

"And what might that entail?"

"We could go on a date," he suggested. "Or drive somewhere. Maybe make out . . ."

"Considering what happened yesterday," I intervened, gesturing to my still-tender lips, "I'm vetoing the third option."

"What about the other two?"

A smile stretched over my lips before I could stop it, and Jameson definitely noticed, because he matched it.

"Are you free at seven?" he asked.

"I'll have to check my calendar."

Jameson grinned. "See you then." His lips found that sensitive spot behind my ear, making my whole body weak as he added, "Wear something pretty."