«surprise chapter_sleepovers are still fun.»

Comincia dall'inizio

"Oh, fuck you two!" James said grumpily, turning away from both the girls as they laughed at his sorrows, he misses his mates.

The next morning the three of them wake up in a sense of familiarity, it had been a long time since Sirene had sat down at the table with James and Lily to eat, she felt like their books there would take them back to their time at Hogwarts, but it wouldn't. All three of them knew that, but it was easier to pretend.

"Have you two been getting out of the house at all?" Sirene asked, a piece of toast all buttered in her mouth as she tried to cut through her egg that she'd cooked - she burnt it just a little, she wasn't used to doing the cooking, usually Andrew handled it.

"Uh, not for anything besides food and a few basic necessities..." James said, "Usually we just put a few spells around us so the muggles don't remember our faces, even though this village is only muggles, we can't take any chances..."

"Makes sense," Sirene said, it didn't, it didn't make sense - he was James fucking Potter, his family was one of the most well known, if not the most, Wizarding family, and yet he's the one going into hiding for being a good person.

"I have to admit muggle snacks are awfully boring," James told Sirene who sat up straighter, "I bought this pack of gum and when I blew it - it didn't take the shape of any animal!"

"No way!" Sirene said, she looked properly scandalized, she turned to her friend, "What do muggles even eat the gum for then?"

"The flavour?" Lily said with her hands thrown up in the air, "I'm sorry, did I skip something or is that not the literal point of chewing gum?"

"Yeah, but what do you do when you're done with it and still bored?"

"We spit it out..."

"See? I told you they're weird," said James with a shake of his head as he tried to cram his toast with the beans, "Could you find a way to get snacks from Honeydukes here for us? I miss the candies and cakes a lot."

"I could try to fix something, yeah," Sirene said, her mouth full of beans herself, it all felt too similar, "What do you guys do for fun around here?"

"Uh, well, we can't really do much..." James said with a disappointed look and Sirene regrets bringing it up, "But I love the shows they broadcast on the TV, and sometimes we go out for walks on the beach."

"That sounds fun," Sirene said, she knew how much the both of them hated it - James and Lily were both hardworking people, they needed something to do, she could only assume how frustrated they must be about this arrangement, but time and luck were fickle dickheads.

"It's not much, but trust me, if it wasn't for James I'd be going crazy out here," Lily said and James smiled at her goofily, the same smile he's passed her for years now, "I mean, marrying him was the second best decision of my life. The first was befriending you, of course."

James throws his hands back, a betrayed look on his face as Sirene and Lily fell into a similar fit of laughter. Sirene dreaded the fact that in a few hours she'd have to go back out there, back to the real world, back to her responsibilities, and away...away from two of her most favorite people ever.

They'd soaked in every moment together that they could, whatever time allowed them they grabbed blindly, clutching it close to themselves. It seemed like not too long ago when all they ever had was each other, their own little world - and now, the world had expanded, it had turned into little villages, filled with different places, different people, different lives...as selfish as it sounds if they were allowed to go back in time, they would accept without a second thought. No one ever talks about this, when you truly lose your friends, your sense of confidence, your compassion, your love for life...what do you do after? Well, Sirene hasn't figured it out yet, but she knows someday she will, she has the right people by her side for that.