***

Hermione headed to the library after Wednesday classes in a sullen mood. Draco hadn't been at classes or meals all day and Crookshanks had disappeared as well. Her cat occasionally went on little escapades, returning a day or two later with a few half-healed wounds and a smug expression. But Hermione wished he hadn't picked this week to run off.

With Draco holed up in his bedroom alone, according to the Map, there was nothing to do but go to her Transfiguration study group. The Headmistress, who still taught the NEWT-level class, had set a major exam for Friday, an exam the elderly witch described as "comprehensive." A word to strike terror in any McGonagall student. Hermione was pleased to have the next day off classes —more time to study.

Most Hogwarts students were off enjoying themselves already, but the library's Transfiguration section did contain one possible study partner: Theodore Nott. The Slytherin had joined their group at the beginning of the year and had been civil, if relentlessly patronizing. Hermione hesitated by the table, privately a bit concerned about the Slytherin. His tie was crooked and his books stacked in an uncharacteristically haphazard way.

"Nott," she said, taking a seat.

The Slytherin's face was closed and drawn and he gave no answer.

She got down to business. "I thought we could review multi-level conjuration today."

Nott's eyebrows rose. "I would be happy to assist you, Granger," he said, as if conferring a great favor. "The topic may seem complex to the mundane mind, but I believe I have it well in hand."

Hermione's eyes narrowed. "You do? Then I suppose you can list the 101 precepts of the Principle of Artificianimate Quasi-Dominance." She tapped her watch. "In two minutes. Go."

"Granger—"

"One minute, fifty-eight seconds."

Nott's green eyes were murderous, but he began gabbling: "the conservation of magical energy, the measurable increase of entropy in an isolated magical system, the magical boundary of a conjuration increases with the ..."

He managed to spit out eighty-eight precepts before Hermione announced that time was up. Which was rather impressive, but she wasn't telling Nott that. Instead she gave him a smug look. "Clearly some of us have work to do."

"And I suppose you can list the 67 exceptions to the Law of Proportional Magic in one minute," Nott snapped.

"Fifty seconds, actually," Hermione said. "I timed it last night." Which was true—she had to do something when unable to sleep, now that she was no longer in Draco's bed, the astrarium clock was fixed, and erm, nails.

Nott sneered. "Always proving yourself, aren't you, Granger?"

"I don't have to prove a thing," she responded coolly, "unlike some people."

The wizard stiffened.

"How are things going with Greengrass?" she inquired.

"Fine."

"Good."

Hermione then opened her Transfiguration textbook and began reviewing famous transfigurations through history. (Medieval wizard Thaddeus Thurkell transformed his seven Squib sons into hedgehogs in 1672.) The silence stretched for several minutes, until Nott raised his wand and warded the library section against sound.

"I showed Daphne a few tea leaves this morning," he admitted.

Hermione put her book down. "Did they form a heart?"

The Slytherin nodded.

"What did she do?" Hermione asked.

"She threw the cup at me." He looked shocked. "Wedgwood Porcelain!"