Chapter One

I snapped up from my bed gasping for breath. It was just a dream. It felt more real than it usually did. I gripped the disfigured stuffed creature harder as if holding on for dear life. It was only a dream. It was only a dream. But in another time, it had been a reality.

An obnoxious banging came from the direction of my door and I heard my father's sigh.

"Y/N! I give up. Just go on in." Before I even had time to process what was happening, my door burst open and my constant minor annoyance walked into my bedroom.

"Ack! Fitz! Get out!" I yelled, quickly hiding under the covers. I knew for a fact the state of my appearance would probably frighten him beyond belief and scar him for all eternity.

The covers were yanked off of me, and Fitz started to laugh as soon as he saw me. "This is your own fault, not mine," I said before chucking the only thing in my hands at him, which was unfortunately my stuffed animal.

"Actually it's Elwin's fault. You really can sleep through a tornado. Even your thoughts were quiet."

I quickly got up. "Excuse me?"

"I'm just kidding," he smirked. "I would never break the code."

"You better not." Fitz, being that he was a telepath, had promised all of our friends that he wouldn't take an adventure in any of our minds without permission.

"Also I like the gulon," he added, holding up the stuffed animal.

"It was the only thing I had in my hands."

"Where'd you get it?"

"My mom got it for me so...I'm not sure. Why are you even here?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Oh right, we're leaving in five minutes, so get yourself ready. Personally, I think you should just go like this, but Biana told me walking around in pajamas is a crime punishable by death."

"Whatever." I had learned by now to stop asking questions. There was silence. "GET OUT!" Fitz scrambled out of the room, leaving the door open. I grinned to myself. "Fitzroy Vacker, you better shut my stupid door before I sneak into your house at three in the morning and-" I was cut off by my door slamming shut. He was so easy to threaten.

"Make sure to put on some human clothes!" He called through the closed door. I gasped.

"YES!" I screamed loudly, causing the door to rattle on its hinges. It's funny how the thing I enjoyed doing most was technically illegal.

~

After a bunch of weird looks, Fitz and I found ourselves staring at a group of teenagers entering a large building. He held out a newspaper article.

"This is her," he said, pointing to a picture of a pretty girl with long blonde hair that looked about our age, maybe a little bit younger.

"That's so weird. That she's been living with humans," I remarked. Fitz nodded. Suddenly a cocky-looking guy sauntered over to us, smirking just slightly.

"Hey beautiful," he said, looking at me.

"What?" I asked at the same time Fitz asked,

"Excuse me?"

"A girl like you doesn't belong with a guy like that. Give me your number and I'll call you back later," he said, winking. I made a face, resisting the very strong urge to lose my breakfast. Maybe if I ignored him he would go away. "Well?" he asked. Apparently, this guy couldn't take a hint. It was up to me to enlighten him, I guess. What a shame.